An external SSD for music storage

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi Black Stuart,
No inboard satisfying tool? Go outboard route!

I mean an external soundcard is all you need so an usb port, a cable and maybe second power inlet and it's done.

As i come from pro studio world i know there is an unlimited amount of ( pro/semipro) soundcards availlable which are able to do the job more than properly from a quality pov( whatever the job is: from a simple 2in/2out to 64i/o...).

Sure it is less attractive than an integrated solution but to be honest most peoples which have choosen this way won't go back once tried it ( you discard all issues related to so so psu as either the cards include dedicated regulation or their own psu, if the driver are well developped this are tools you set once and forget, etc,etc,...).

Krivium,
Reading all the posts about noise is why I elected to go for a silent PC, it's a shame that Azulle havn't caught onto the audio market by providing audio inputs.

I like your suggestions and take note of what Jean-Paul says. Having looked at all the comments from those that actually use the Shannon Parks Puffin preamp I want to use this as the start point of digitising my music.

So, I want to feed the result of using the Puffin via co-ax ( I took note of Jean-Paul's comments about Toslink) to the now usable (USB port 3.0 ) Azulle. Please let me know what sound cards I should look at, I have no idea where to start.

Also I took a look at the Steve Hoffman site and there are two members, one Brit and one Polish who have successfully used, 128GB and 256GB flash drives into the Marantz CD6007, the Polish guy has used AOMEI Partition Assistant. Both have reported no problems.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi Black Stuart,
Well it'll depend of the budget you want to invest.
This one should be ok with spdif input up to 96khz/24bit:

ESI U86 XT – Thomann France

The issue with spdif is the norm was specified up to 48khz in its official spec as it is a consumer format so there is a lot of 48khz one not so much which are ok to 96khz ( the puffin out at 96khz from what i've seen). This Esi should accept a 96khz spdif signal. If you are ok with 48khz then other cheaper solution exists.