An attempt at treating a small room

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Electric projection screen went up late Thursday and I had it ISF calibrated Friday.

The JVC HD100 image is absolutely jaw dropping. Audio is fun but for sheer wow factor AV is where its at. Can't wait to get the speakers in and watch a movie with the complete setup.

Carpet is being fitted Tuesday and I'll be installing the tiny little Genelec 8020 active surrounds tomorrow.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
sploo said:
Ant - looks great, but aren't the LGTs going behind the screen? Is this therefore an acoustically transparent screen?

Thanks Gordon. Your right about the screen, its a woven fabric type with open area of around 5%. Naturally its not completely acoustically transparent but its only really affecting the stuff above 5Khz and not by huge amount at that. For music listening the screen moves out the way anyhow and I tend to play movies so loud that you don't really notice the couple of dB drop on the top octave. Here's the manufacturers data with 1/6oct smoothing, yellow is the relevant one for me:

comparisonchart.jpg

The screen material is from these people:

http://www.seymourav.com/screens.asp

In that small of a room, I don't see how a center channel would help all that much. Those speakers should image such that you will never miss it. Also they are so close together that the separation between them isn't enough to need a center IMHO.

I still contest that home theater is more of a gimmick and marketing ploy to sell us more speakers and amplifiers. Can you really hear the difference between 5.1 and 7.1? Maybe it is just my inclination towards 2 channel.:)

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Originally posted by DaveM In that small of a room, I don't see how a center channel would help all that much. Those speakers should image such that you will never miss it. Also they are so close together that the separation between them isn't enough to need a center IMHO.

Spot on about the center channel. The speakers are both capable as well as close enough together to completely negate the need to have a dedicated center in order to lock dialogue to the screen.

I still contest that home theater is more of a gimmick and marketing ploy to sell us more speakers and amplifiers. Can you really hear the difference between 5.1 and 7.1? Maybe it is just my inclination towards 2 channel.:)

I'm doing 4.0 but that's because I do believe that the rear effect channels add a great deal to the overall experience but as far as 7.1, 9.1 or even 11.2, these are really needing a very large room (think 10m x 7m) to be heard at their best. I'd say for most, 5.1 is all you need.

ShinOBIWAN said:
... I do believe that the rear effect channels add a great deal to the overall experience...

Absolutely. With the right material though, of course.

For stereo, I've never found any of the audio tricks (to fake surround) work to my liking. Some genuine surround sound recordings (e.g. Bjork's Vespertine on DVD-A) work very well. Obviously it's the films where it really shines - oh, and whilst I don't play games much, I have found that Half-Life 2 on a full surround system is a lot of fun!

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Gordon,

Yep as always the recording dictates the final quality but refreshingly virtually all movies on digital formats have a huge dynamic range and don't suffer from over compression unlike so many of todays 2 channel recordings.

If you ask me more budget, care and expertise goes into a movie soundtrack than music. There's exception to the rule of course but production values on soundtracks are consistently very high and have been for some time.

And yes, the whole 'surround gaming' thing is coming along in leaps and bounds. My favourites are Call of Duty 4 and Bioshock. Both very different in their use of surround - one goes all out to shower you in audio coming from all directions and the other is using surround to create a subtle but powerful mood and atmosphere.

I have to admit the guilty pleasure of enjoying movies in surround, but having worked in the film industry for a while, I know that things are recorded in mono. That's right mono. Everything else is done in post. It is an engineer sitting at a console with a joystick deciding where the sound should come from. I guess I am too much of a purist to really enjoy it.

I agree that things like Bjork work very well, by with acoustic it comes off as gimmickry to me. I've been playing oblivion lately and the images make the need for sound all around un-needed. Though I can just imagine being able to hear footsteps from behind must really add to things.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Finished reworking trim on baffles. Pleased with the results. I used material backed with 2mm thick foam in the end.

It is a sculpture as much as a speaker isn't it? I think that's why designing and building speakers is such an engrossing hobby. It has so many aspects. Speakers are electrical and mechanical systems that can be beautiful works of art and are able to perform the completely satisfying function of reproducing beautiful music. Wonderful job.

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Davide82 said:
Fiberglass is a health hazard:

Do you smoke? :D

That first link is typical propaganda and the second pretty much tells us there isn't any real heath risk with limited exposure. The prescribed breathing protection is a paper mask for handling of the stuff. I have literally handled tons of the pink, shiploads of rockwool. I'd be long dead...

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.