Amplifier and microphone connections

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I'm after some advice please as I am not too sure....... Our school has recently bought and had installed a "Apart Concept1" amplifier for the school hall which has a dedicated paging microphone connection on the unit. The school wish to continue using their existing radio microphones which have XLR and 6.3mm jack plug outputs. Is it possible remove the XLR plug or 6.3mm Jack Plug from the radio mic and connect the 2x wires and ground connection into the Paging Microphone connections? (The amplifier has screw connections, so would mean hard wiring the cable in)

The Concept1 amplifier paging mic connections are: SGL input with +, - and GND or Z1/Z2. As the radio mics are a twin set and work together I presume i would (if I can do this anyway) use the 6.3mm unbalanced output of the mic unit to the +, - and GND of the amplifier paging mic connections?

Having looked at a few paging microphones - it does seem feasible that this would work. This would enable us to continue using the radio microphone with this amplifier which would be fantastic.

Thank you for your time

Tazzy

The electronics have no idea what the connections LOOK like. As long as the two balanced signal lines are connected to the balanced inputs, and the ground connects to ground, it will work.

Leave the wireless receiver alone, and wire up a cord for it. If you use a plain old XLR cord, and either cut off or remove the connector from the end opposite the receiver, you can then strip the three wires and put them to the screw terminals.

The electronics have no idea what the connections LOOK like. As long as the two balanced signal lines are connected to the balanced inputs, and the ground connects to ground, it will work.

Leave the wireless receiver alone, and wire up a cord for it. If you use a plain old XLR cord, and either cut off or remove the connector from the end opposite the receiver, you can then strip the three wires and put them to the screw terminals.

Hi thanks for the reply......... doing a further bit of digging - there are (obviously) 3 pin connections on the XLR plug. The actual cable only has a single insulated wire and the braid/shielding. the third pin of the XLR is jumpered to the braid connection in the plug itself which can be removed......

So with the amp layout below:

a. do I need to modify the XLR lead and plug?
b. what connections do I go into the amp with?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Thank you

Fixed it.........

Hi thanks for the reply......... doing a further bit of digging - there are (obviously) 3 pin connections on the XLR plug. The actual cable only has a single insulated wire and the braid/shielding. the third pin of the XLR is jumpered to the braid connection in the plug itself which can be removed......

So with the amp layout below:

a. do I need to modify the XLR lead and plug?
b. what connections do I go into the amp with?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Thank you

SORTED: OK so the wire in my XLR cable was only single core audio braided. I have now replaced this with a 2 wire plus ground XLR plug and cable and connected to the amplifier (ignoring the zone connections) and it works perfectly)

Cheers - happy talking and singing @ school resumes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.