Amplification breaks up after some time

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys,
I got an old guitar amp here. Friend asked me to look it over real quick. I can only say that the heaters work and that I can measure B-Voltages about right with my crappy multimeter. I've changed most of the tubes against new ones I had on shelf. I also tried different speakers and made sure there are no visibly loose connections. There are no schematics to be found and I dont have an oscilloscope on hand.
The problem is this: When I switch on the amp, it needs a little to heat up, then it works fine. After a minute or so the sound starts to break away. The amp only amplifies weakly, only very loud input realy goes through.
I wondered if that sounded familiar and whether you could point me in the right direction.
Thanks

Open grid return is a good shot, my first thought was leaky old coupling caps between stages.

You may not have a schematic, but it would be helpful to us if you mentioned the make and model anyway. You might be surprised at the resources we have.

You can check the voltages on the tube sockets at about 70-80% of the maximum rated on the tube datasheets. Derate more if the maximum B+ voltage is a lower percentage than that. A grid voltage way off would be a sign of a resistor or capacitor problem, possibly. Tube datasheets are on triodeelectronics.com for example. With the power off and B+ zero you can also measure the resistor values against the color code without a schematic diagram.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.