AMP PCB LAYOUT

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi could anyone please comment on the following PCB layout. The amp is basically a blameless amp. Thanks

Attachments

• PCB Layout.jpg
    PCB Layout.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 434
  • Schematics.jpg
    Schematics.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 426
Hi zeus_threat

I only looked briefly at your schematic diagram and I found it to be very difficult to follow, it’s very clunky with wires flowing through components and values written on top of wires. Look at some of the other designs seen in DIY to get an idea how a schematic should be drawn.

Some traces seem to take the long way around to get to their destinations. They can be shortened considerably.

The technical issues:
Looking at the diagram it seems to be a fairly standard design; however what is the purpose of R26?

What are the supply voltages feeding your design?

What is the intended speaker load impedance?

What is the intended application; (home, pro-audio, etc) this will help define the heatsinking requirements?

Although the TIP 2935 and TIP 3055 are really cheap, there are much better output transistors available (faster, more powerful, more linear, etc).

Do you have an output filter network in your design? Because its not shown on the schematic.

If this is your first DIY amp project I would suggest that you be very careful about output overloads and short-circuits. It might be a good idea to add a V-I limiter to your design if there is any chance of a short.

I will leave it to others to simulate the design and check the component values.

As for the PCB layout:

Is this a double sided layout, (traces on both sides)? With a little better (imaginative) component layout you can get rid of most (if not all) of the jumper connections on the second layer. This will greatly reduce the cost of the PCB and improve the reliability of the amp.

If you maintain the use of a double sided board, than, using a single via to conduct current is not a good idea, they tend to open. Use the component lead to carry the current from one layer to the other.

Again what is R26 doing on the board?

On your board why is the pad layout for T16 not the same as T17, and for esthetic reasons, you could orient them in the same direction.

The traces connecting D6 D7 should be the same size as the output traces. This is due to the fact that very often these diodes fail and the small trace will burn before the fuse opens.

You will need some large pads for the power connections on the PCB (hint, look at the fuses, ground, output connections, etc).

I hope these comments help, have fun with your project.

Philip

Cleaner Schem

Hi thanks for all the comments i will get the power section layed out differently including all you have mentionned. Attached is a cleaner schematic. Amp is for home use +-35V and single driver that does not dip below 6.53 ohm in impedance measurements. TIP will be used as i have plenty of them around. The amp has been simulated and built it is now being moved to pcb.

I am getting used to target pool thats why you don't see an inductor in parallel with R26 it will be there in final circuit 1uH in value.

As for VI protection I have yet been able to find a complete calculation guide that explains how to calculate values for at least a single slope protection scheme and derating with increased temperature. If anybody has any information regarding this i would be glad if you could please pass it on thanks.

Attachments

• schem.jpg
    schem.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 187
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.