Amp in a Can

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I wanted a power amp that I could use as a PA amp for gigs or a party amp in the backyard or for block parties. It had to be easily portable and lightweight. So I came up with this. The chassis is a surplus military ammunition can about 11" b 8" by 5.5". It it has a lid that can open and it has a HANDLE for easy portability. I chose to go the easy route and used pre-assembled ICE Power 200 ASC Class D modules that have built in universal switching powers supplies.
One end of the box has the audio connectors and LED indicators, the other end has the power connector. It can accept balanced XLR, Balanced 1/4" TRS, unbalanced 1/4", unbalanced RCA and unbalanced 1/8" stereo (iPod) inputs. Outputs are Speakon and five way binding posts. The IEC power connector also has an on/off switch and a fuse. Other than still being in need of some paint touch up, I'm pretty pleased with the result. Here is a picture and a link to a captioned photo album.

Amp In A Can Photos by audiosteve1 | Photobucket

IMG_7889.jpg

Cool idea using old PC cases - Have any photos of completed amps? Also what is an LED fan?

Thanks,
Rod

I use new pc cases, I picked one up with power supply for £20 on ebay.
The cost of new amplifier cases is extortionate.

An LED fan is a 12 volt pc fan with LEDs around it. The LED's cycle on and off to give different colours.

It doesn't look much different as an amplifier.
I put the input and output sockets on the front panel.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Can we see inside of the can?

A little off topic.... It's funny that we call it a can because when I used to go whitewater rafting, some rivers prohibit human solid waste from being left behind the river or banks as you went. We would actually use military surplus ammo boxes to take a cr@p in and bring it all the way to the end where it was disposed of properly. Pretty disgusting but same type of "can" was used as a can.:)

Can we see inside of the can?

A little off topic.... It's funny that we call it a can because when I used to go whitewater rafting, some rivers prohibit human solid waste from being left behind the river or banks as you went. We would actually use military surplus ammo boxes to take a cr@p in and bring it all the way to the end where it was disposed of properly. Pretty disgusting but same type of "can" was used as a can.:)

Boy, hanging around this forum is really educational - I learn something new today:D

I use new pc cases, I picked one up with power supply for £20 on ebay.
The cost of new amplifier cases is extortionate.

An LED fan is a 12 volt pc fan with LEDs around it. The LED's cycle on and off to give different colours.

It doesn't look much different as an amplifier.
I put the input and output sockets on the front panel.

Great idea, and the prices really are great compared to amp cases! I've considered making wood cases, but am concerned about fire hazard and lack of the good all around grounding of a metal case. Would hate to have a fire in the house to just save a little money on an amp case.

Your fan must be a trip to watch - is the display related to the music?

Cheers,
Rod

There is a Sure TK 2050 in there with Meanwell 36v SMPS. No modifications except replacing on-board fan with passive heatsink. There is a PC fan running at very low rpms behind the honeycomb vent. Honestly, it's a mess in there, but it's surely not the weakest link in the chain for my listening experience, so I've moved on to other projects.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.