Amp advice

Hello. Appreciate any input if anyone has the time.
I have got Klipschorns, 1210s and a mastersounds rotary mixer.
I've had valve amps before and have liked them, but have had a couple of sets.
Looking for something that works with the above, make decent use of the bits and bobs I already have.
I have a short attention span so general online searching lead me nowhere.
Anyone who has any good recommendations, much appreciated.
Peace.

The world is your lobster! You only need a couple of watts to deafen yourself (unless you live on a mountain) Try some of the latest Class D amps. The TPA3116s and 3255s might float your boat and won't break the bank. If you want more power try IRS2092s. I haev very revealing and sensitive open baffles speakers and Class D is not a miss-match IMO.

Wondering if the extra info is of any use.

I have a missing "piece" so to speak. Was hoping someone might be able to make some recommendations to something that will allow me to make the most of the sound the other bits supply. I'm under the impression the bits should provide some decent sound.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
ACAMini! Fun build and fantastic sound. If you’re not in the mood for DIY building, maybe one of the lower power Schiit amps would suit you, or a MA12070 class D amp.

Any extra info about what you have and want to use will help people make recommendations and answer any questions you may have.

Are you planning to use these things in a home environment or for live sound events?

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Since you’re a fan of valves, but looking elsewhere, there may be a forum member in the UK with an extra class A amp they would be willing to part with. Place a WTB request in Swap Meet here and you may get some nice offers.

Cheers. I've posted my Audio Research units in the swap meet section. One is fine and one keeps "going". I'm fed up with them, they are really heavy. Amazing sound and power but weigh a ton. I paid 6k i think for them. Looking for 650 for them. As it'll soon be time to throw them out.
Just a bit fed up as the previous valve amp and pre amp kept needing repairs too. I can;t get their name till later. Would be willing to swap them too.
I had an electrician get some form of transformer to stop the amps from "blowing" which did work, but one of the units was too difficult for hy-tk in dalston to fix. Old units and getting parts. Thought someone who knows what they were doing could make use of them. Sad to chuck them in the bin.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Klipschorns, 1210 … audio research classic 150s, a pair. Before that some other vintage valve amp

Can’t find the exact ome, but this is one of the big corner horns?

But Klipsch speakers almost invariably have a wild impedance curve, as can be seen from the samples shown here

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/162238-klipsch-speaker-impedance-curves/

A valve amplifer (like a SS one) can be either push-pull (PP — like your Audio Research) or single ended. SE tuned amplifiers typically have high output impedance (Rou) and in such cases the end output from the loudspeaker will have the impedance curve imposed on top of the FR curve.

PP tube amplifiers tend to have lower Rout, but not always. Here is the Ref 150 which i likely somewhat representative

output impedance varied according to the transformer tap selected. The 16 ohm tap measured 1.4 ohms at low and middle frequencies, rising to 1.9 ohms at the top of the audioband. The figures for the 8 ohm tap were 1 and 1.4 ohms; for the 4 ohm tap, they were 0.55 and 0.87 ohm. All three taps offer quite a low source impedance for a transformer-coupled design

So for best perfomance wiyth your loudspeakers an amplifier with lower Rout is likely best. SS amplifiers typically have even lower Rout.

You need very little power. 1 or 2 watts is likely more than sufficient for domestic levels.

I have both the little Class D (in my breifcase hifi) but the ACA minis i have are better (IMO). They can both be had cheap.

ACA mini is one of Nelson Pass’ many contributions to our community, one of the very best commercial impelementaions of the Class D chip is another member @xrk971.

If you want to try SE the ACA is another very good amplifier and probably represents the best selling Pass amplifier so far (and all built by diyers)

dave