Amp advice for Omega Grande 8r (Fe 207e)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

I am new to the world of high efficiency speakers and SET amps. I recently picked up an omega 8r speaker pair (Fe 207e 96 dB) to pair with my EL 34 SET amp (approx 10w).

They sound pretty good to me, but I have no real experience in the world of single driver speakers and SET amps. I am just worried that the amp is not powerful enough for these speakers. Is my current setup ok or should I get a beefier amp ?

Well, as George ( Tubelab), and others might say - more is better, and there's no such thing as too much ;), but how much power you might need depends on a few factors - including size of the room, listening location and volume levels.

A nicely biased EL34/6CA4 SET can be a lovely thing.

Thanks for the subwoofer tip. A question on implementation
should I
1. Split the source signal to the sub and try to blend it as best I can
2. Run the amp speaker output into the sub and from there to the speakers
3. Get something like minidsp to act as a crossover to feed the speaker and sub separately

To get the most benefit from a sub woofer and FR drivers of any brand/size, I'd suggest you high pass the latter - at, or slightly above the Subs XO point. Some sub / plate amps with speaker level inputs include a rudimentary filter on the out to mains / "satellites"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.