Alternative to Front Panel Express?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ran across this guy - stuff.digitalcraftpdx.stuff. Does CNC work for $50 / hr., no minimum, charges by the minute. So, 1/2 hr. is $35 (under 1 hr., $10 setup). Also, will laser cut wood up to 1/8, acrylic, wood or shell veneer, you name it for $35/hr. You just shoot him an EPS file. He can supply mat'l or you send. Has 3D printing too.

I live in an apartment, and there is no way I'm going to set up a table saw! I live in an apartment 'cause I'm poor, and there's no way I can afford FPE! However, in a former life (before I was Shirley MacLaine) I ran a laser at a sign shop, so I am real comfortable with this. I figure about 1 1/2 hrs. tops, including setup and cleanup, for what I'm contemplating, +$18 mat'l (1/8" baltic birch ply @ $3/sq.ft.), so $66 for a fairly large chassis with all cutouts and holes, and custom engraving, ready to be glued up. (BTW, I'm doubling the plywood to make 1/4" sides, inner piece 1/4 shorter than outer, top just drops onto the ledge thus formed. Likewise, staggered joints at corners. Top double ply also, with vertical strip reinforcement under the trannys).

Can't beat that price with a club.

Just thought I'd I'd pass the you are ell along in case anyone is interested.

Sorry to revive an old thread but,

I'm newish to diy audio but my day job is printing fine books. Owosso Graphic Arts in MI makes printing plates for relief (raised lettering) or intaglio (recessed) processes in magnesium, copper and brass in thicknesses from 11pt, 16 gauge and ¼ inch. For example, just before the holiday I had a 16g (1/16") 4x5" copper plate made for $41.40 + shipping. They accept digital files from most desktop design software or print ready pdf. Plenty more info at their website: https://www.owosso.com

Just another possible solution for the rest of you out there and an alternative to aluminum or steel.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.