Alpha 5 CDP Help Please!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All
My first post here, so apologies if I get protocol wrong.

I bought a Alpha 5 CDP off FleaBay. I know, first mistake.
Marked as intermittent fault.
When it arrived, something was loose inside. That was Cap C403, blown off the PCB! And goo everywhere!:bawling:
And I mean everywhere!.
Underside of PCB not pretty, lots of tracks corroded and burnt. Seems a basket case.

Couple of transistors look poorly too, Q405 and Q404. Can't read the markings on Q404 so I suspect it's totalled.

Anyway, tidied up things as best I could, replaced C403, cleaned tracks, and tried to power it up.
No nastly pops, but even when the on/off switch is off, the CD drive motor runs. Display comes on, drawer doesn't move (except if i push it out) but the gear seems fine. So PSU is poorly.

Can anyone please let me see a copy of the manual?

Or does anyone have a main PCB they want to sell me?
Thanks all

Bazzman

Not what I would call an intermittent fault !!!!

No, not so intermittent. But I don't think I've been shafted (naiive??), I think it may have been working fairly OK with a half-wrecked cap oozing over the PCB, I just wonder if the Royal Mail just rattled the thing out of the board, and maybe my ham-fisted efforts to repair finally did for it.

Anyway, thanks for your reply, you think Arcam still might help me out with schematics and so on?

Cheers

Barry

Bazzman said:
Not what I would call an intermittent fault !!!!

No, not so intermittent. But I don't think I've been shafted (naiive??), I think it may have been working fairly OK with a half-wrecked cap oozing over the PCB, I just wonder if the Royal Mail just rattled the thing out of the board, and maybe my ham-fisted efforts to repair finally did for it.

Anyway, thanks for your reply, you think Arcam still might help me out with schematics and so on?

Cheers

Barry

Yep. Arcam sent me the diagrams for an old 10P power amp just a couple of months ago.

Andy

Cool. Thanks Andy.
Appreciate it. I'll send them an email now.

I don't suppose you know of anyone who has an old but working main board that they want to sell, as I have my doubts whether mine will ever cough back into life. Shame, as i think the laser is working fine....

Cheers Barry

Just an update to my story.

Problems all sorted, and a BIG thank you to those who took the time and trouble to help and guide me along the way, specifically Poynton, and Jon H.

Thanks guys for the PMs and support. Much appreciated.
The player is now working 100% fine and sounds great.

This is a great forum.

Thanks again

Bazzman

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.