Alpha 15a's & Wild Burro Betsy's - Passive XO?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Howdy,
I built some basic open baffles with the betsy drivers, and while nice, I would like more bottom end. I ordered some alpha 15a's, and would like to build some open baffles with this combo.

I'm building this for my dad, and ideally he would be able to plug them into a decent receiver/amp, something nice and easy.

I know I could get another MiniDSP, and bi-amp, but am curious if a passive XO is reasonably possible? I don't have any real experience designing a passive xo for, so I figured I'd ask here.

Thanks!!

I'd maybe try two Alpha's/side. MJK's worksheet says they would be a few dB higher than the Betsy, but that might make for a nice, warm house curve. I made a very rough stab at a crossover in the attached worksheet, but for a first cut with no optimization it looks pretty good.

Bill

Attachments

• betsy plus double alphas ob.pdf
    439.5 KB · Views: 75
I'd maybe try two Alpha's/side. MJK's worksheet says they would be a few dB higher than the Betsy, but that might make for a nice, warm house curve. I made a very rough stab at a crossover in the attached worksheet, but for a first cut with no optimization it looks pretty good.

Bill

Awesome, thank you!

I had considered a pair of alphas per side, and may very well end up doing that. I've only skimmed the document you added, I'll read it in more depth this evening hopefully.

I think I'll laminate some 1/2 and 3/4 baltic birch and cut the baffle from that, ~1 1/4" thick should be good. I'll probably brace the rear up similar to this:

https://zimmer64.wordpress.com/2015/09/13/betsy-eminence-alpha-15-a-mk-ii/

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.