• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Alpair 7P & Alpair 12PW combination.

Bipolar option?

Hello Chris and Dave:
Rather than having both 12pw's on the front face could you narrow things up a bit, make the cabinet a little deeper and put one on the back. This would eliminate baffle step. Could the vent go out the back or bottom? Say with short legs and a nice stone base

With 2 woofers, wide baffle and active XO, I'm not so sure that baffle step loss will be a major issue.

Yes, the vent could probably be oriented on any face, but boundary loading too close to the floor might have some consequences.

On a good day, I don't think about going bipolar, and with the sun shining right now, it's a good day.

'course living on the coast and attending several fests now, you're quite aware the weather and my disposition can be mercurial -

where was I?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Rather than having both 12pw's on the front face could you narrow things up a bit, make the cabinet a little deeper and put one on the back. This would eliminate baffle step. Could the vent go out the back or bottom? Say with short legs and a nice stone base

Sure. Skinnier box likely means moving the XO up in freuquency. The drivers certainly won't fight that. A deep bipole will thou suffer from greater bipole dip.

These deal with baffle step in the same way a bipole would... put the XO at the BAS point and turn the woofers up.

dave

This particular design is a heartier sibling of one several years back with EL166 and a Fostex FF85K

Sold them to one of the pounders at work - they didn't disappoint, and have survived intact , including parties with teenage daughters and their boyfriends ( better than might be said about the daughters:eek:)

Quick summary from this afternoon's listening session- sometimes more is better. First part of same session was with compact floorstanders with A10Ps and FF165WKs - either of which are eminently livable - but these puppies are something else.

Damping on the woofer TL section may need some tuning -seemed a bit over-damped with a thick batt of 2" Ultra touch on both sides of longitudinal brace - but even so the last system to rattle some of the loose soffit panels in the downstairs room was Tannoy Monitor Gold 12s I built a few months back. Personally I find these already more cohesive than the Tannoys, whose tonality and imaging I just never cottoned to

Last edited: