Alpair 7 twin design vs. JBL 4312C monitors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
well, with 2 drivers, if you slouch down you lose some highs.
I recommned it so long as others are also the same exact height.
I have more high end at my chair than my wife (sits closer, ears lower, and 2' more off axis).

I use exactly 9 pennies under the front edge of my dual 4".
Before that, I noticed I'd slouch down and have more high end.

My 4 x 4" focused array, if you stood up, it sounded like you were listening underwater or your ears instantly plugged up like a head cold. It was very discorcerting, similar to a small panic attack that something just went physically wrong with your ears. Scary actually.

Norman

Interesting comment. I'm quite sensitive to high frequency interference effects. When I first got my Quad ESL57s, a long time back, I almost gave up on them soon after. Then I removed the wadding attached to the back grille. In particular the wadding behind the hf panel was causing an odd in-head-feeling that I can only put down to its closeness to the rear of the panel. With the wadding removed the sound was opened right up and the music flowed.

My 4 x 4" focused array, if you stood up, it sounded like you were listening underwater or your ears instantly plugged up like a head cold. It was very discorcerting, similar to a small panic attack that something just went physically wrong with your ears. Scary actually.Norman

if you are sensitive to high frequency effects, a dual full ranger may drive you mad at the lack of versatility. Every time you stand up it may bother you, and eventually it may upset you (I know personally). But 2 drivers is much cleaner than 1.

I like the idea of a dual driver design over a 1.5 design.

I've wanted to try 4 x w2-803sm 2" tang bands in a 4 vertical array but that would have less cone area than 1 of my 4" (just too little cone area for me).

Norman

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.