Almost There... Huff... Puff...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Completely veneered and routed. My second veneering job, and I'm pretty happy with the results. This time, the veneer was applied to the baffle before the drivers cutouts and recesses were routed. I told my wife I'll be real good at this after the 15th pair of speakers... You can imagine the look I got. Well I can always sleep in the home theatre tonight.

Hong

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Update

Well guys,

It's almost done, and very inexpensive. 2.2 cu ft vented box housing a Vifa M26 woofer and a Hi-Vi TM1A. Will be crossed at 900/4500 (the xo is not in yet). Removable baffle, veneered with paper-backed oak. I'll probably add a glossy black piece to the top, and a base with spikes. I'm working on a measurement system with SoundEasy/mic/preamp, and post the results soon. The graph will probably look horrible, but hey, you don't run before you walk.

Hong

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

hongrn said:
The woofer is a Vifa M26, and I use a Hi-Vi mid-tweeter combo, the TM1A (hence the comment above about driver positions). Flush mounting these suckers weren't easy.

TM1A.jpg

How much were they and where did you get them!?
How do they sound?

Very nice box and like the way you made the removable baffle.I got a large radial arm saw but no room in the city to use .Bought it with all the datto ,molding bits ,sanding wheels .It been sitting in my brothers garage at least 14 years ,time to make room for it if I want to built a nice box like you did.Pat.P

Thanks David,

The baffle is 1-3/8" thick, a combination of a 3/4" MDF piece glued to a 5/8" piece. It fits in the box like a cork in a bottle. Weatherstripping foam seals the gap between the baffle and the box. 4 allen head bolts screw onto T-nuts installed in the box (see pic). It's completely airtight.

Hong

Pat.P said:
Very nice box and like the way you made the removable baffle.I got a large radial arm saw but no room in the city to use .Bought it with all the datto ,molding bits ,sanding wheels .It been sitting in my brothers garage at least 14 years ,time to make room for it if I want to built a nice box like you did.Pat.P

Where did you manage to find all of the moulding heads, sanding disks etc. I got a nice RAS in my garage that I use for cross cutting mostly...but I would love to get some accessories like a router collet/drill chuck/moulding head/sanding disk...etc. Sooo many people underestimate what you can do with a RAS these days, there a great tool if they are set up properly. ;)

G.

Gcollier said:

Where did you manage to find all of the moulding heads, sanding disks etc. I got a nice RAS in my garage that I use for cross cutting mostly...but I would love to get some accessories like a router collet/drill chuck/moulding head/sanding disk...etc. Sooo many people underestimate what you can do with a RAS these days, there a great tool if they are set up properly. ;)

G.

They all came from Sears ( Canada).I also have the chuck for drill press and drum sanding .What I like about a RAS is you see your work from the top .Pat.P

Finally finished the crossover. Third order all pass with impedance compensation and a full 6 db BSC. I popped in a couple of test CDs a friend gave me. Wow... The woofer really shines. Even though I hate anything related to Michael Jackson, I had to listen to Billie Jean and Thriller. Dire Straits' "Money for Nothing" is just awsome.

Hong

P8300128.jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.