All-tube regulated power supply

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm trying to build a supply for a project with the aim of gettinat least 60mA at anywhere over 180V. I think the upper limits here would be more dictated by component availability and cost than by anything else. I started with an unregulated supply, which works just fine, but ideally I would want a regulated supply - the load can vary a lot, so a regulated supply would make the rest of the circuitry a lot simpler.

Once I discovered VR tubes, I decided that an all-tube regulator would be the way to go because, well, I like glowing things! I don't need anything very fancy - this is not an audio application and the powered circuitry can handle a little ripple. I'm looking at your basic VR+Error+pass tube design.

So, to my questions:

1. What determines the power rating of the supply? For example I have seen designs that use the 6BM8, but they don't meet my current requirements. I've also seen a design that uses a 6080(?) pass tube, but that seems a bit of a hog when it comes to the heater current.

2. Does the heater of the pass tube have to be isolated from other heater supplies? The designs I've seen sometimes state this as a requirement, but I can't find an explanation as to why.

3. Can anyone recommend a transformer for this application? As usual, the transformer seems to be the hardest part to source, so if there is a boiler-plate design that includes an off-the-shelf transformer, that would make life a little easier.

I'm trying to build a supply for a project with the aim of getting at least 60mA at anywhere over 180V.

ECL85 would be sufficient. I have built several power supplies with this tube.

What determines the power rating of the supply?

Pass tube. Mainly it's Ik (max.) and Pa (max.)

Does the heater of the pass tube have to be isolated from other heater supplies?

Yes, it requires own heater winding. This must also be biased so that max. heater-cathode voltage will not be exceeded. For ECL85 this is 100 Vdc.

Attachments

• ECL85_poweri.JPG
    ECL85_poweri.JPG
    112.7 KB · Views: 962
  • Regu_s1.jpg
    Regu_s1.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 812
  • Regu_s2.jpg
    Regu_s2.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 791
Thanks Artosalo. I created a LTSpice simulation with my expected loads and my rectification stage and that circuit works well.

I would like to get some opinions on a way to go with transformers. I am using a 6CA4 rectifier tube in my rectification a stage, so I need another 6V3 winding for that. My simulation also shows I need at least 500V CT. However off-the-shelf transformers with 500V CT and 2x6V3 CT are few and far between. Hammond make one with 550V CT secondary, but the current rating is only 75mA, which doesn't leave much headroom. It looks like 500V/5V/6V3 is a lot more common, but then I'd need to switch to a rectifier like the 5AR4. Or I could also buy a dedicated 6V3 filament transformer.

So, I am plagued with indecision. There isn't much to choose between these options, so if anyone has strong opinions, I would appreciate the input.

BTW, I know I could use diodes rather than a rectifier tube. I'd just prefer not to.

Thanks Artosalo. I created a LTSpice simulation with my expected loads and my rectification stage and that circuit works well.

I would like to get some opinions on a way to go with transformers. I am using a 6CA4 rectifier tube in my rectification a stage, so I need another 6V3 winding for that. My simulation also shows I need at least 500V CT. However off-the-shelf transformers with 500V CT and 2x6V3 CT are few and far between. Hammond make one with 550V CT secondary, but the current rating is only 75mA, which doesn't leave much headroom. It looks like 500V/5V/6V3 is a lot more common, but then I'd need to switch to a rectifier like the 5AR4. Or I could also buy a dedicated 6V3 filament transformer.

So, I am plagued with indecision. There isn't much to choose between these options, so if anyone has strong opinions, I would appreciate the input.

BTW, I know I could use diodes rather than a rectifier tube. I'd just prefer not to.

The Hammond transformers I looked at don't have enough current on one of the 6V3 secondaries. They do have a 550/6V3/5 transformer in both regular and potted versions, but the filament secondaries are not CT.

@kodabmx: I was wondering if there was some way to create an artificial center tap. Thanks very much for that info. The situation with the hammond transformers is more complex than I thought. They have three series, 200, 300 and 300P. There are equivalent transformers in each series, except the 200 series versions don't have the 6V3 CT. The 300 and 300P ones do. I'm very tempted by the potted version, but then it is about three times the price of the 200 version. I also need to work through the circuit with a 5AR4 to make sure I'm not missing something. I don't want to drop $230 on a transformer only to discover the circuit I want to use it in doesn't work!

@Osvaldo: This is the link? https://www.americanradiohistory.com/Archive-Radio/40s/Radio-1947-02-03.pdf

Here is modified schematic. Now the heater transformer does not have CT, only single 6,3 V winding.
The output voltage of the regulator is 300 Vdc and we want to bias the ECL85 heater to some 200 Vdc.
We get this voltage with two resistor voltage divider (100k and 220k) and feed it to either one heater pin.
The voltage divider can also be before the pass tube.

Attachments

• ECL85_poweri_mod.JPG
    ECL85_poweri_mod.JPG
    95.7 KB · Views: 378
I've been simulating the power supply in LTSpice using the Ayumi tube models, and I am concerned about the current being drawn through the transformer. I was planning on using a transformer rated for 100ms or 144ms, however the peak current shown by LTSpice is around 224mA (actually -224mA, why is that?). The RMS current is 75mA. I've attached the circuit and a run of that circuit.

Would either of the transformers be OK with this peak current draw?

Attachments

• tube_amp_reg_sch.JPG
    tube_amp_reg_sch.JPG
    278.3 KB · Views: 258
  • tube_amp_reg.JPG
    tube_amp_reg.JPG
    392.5 KB · Views: 241
As far as I know, it's the RMS current that matters for a transformer. The windings should not overheat, which depends on the RMS current. (Besides the transformer core shouldn't saturate, but that's usually only an issue with half-wave rectification.)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.