All Full digital amplifier, dead or alive?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Greetings to all. All have long known amplifiers Zetex DGFA, the NAD M2, Denon PMA 50. I really like this technique sounds excellent (8 of 10)!
There are more solutions from Intersil D-Sound-D310, the POPU D5, D6, the sound of them of course is not the same (3 of 10)
There is still a (mostly Chinese) solutions STA326 and similar (2 of 10).
Improving these amplifiers is still not up to the implementation of Zetex chip.
What else new has appeared on the market, or can somebody or something came up from the Homebrew worthy of attention.
Maybe someone has a solution that can compete with the chip from Zetex, a successful application of other chips? Denon and further developing this chip from Zetex.
Who has any thoughts?

I see threads on this topic now and then, and I'm curious: why bother? The way I see it, if you have a digital signal you cannot send that to the loudspeakers, right? So at the loudspeaker you need an analog signal. At what point you go from a digital representation to an analog one is only slightly different if you do that in the amplifier itself, versus if you do that in a DAC that is directly connected to a traditional analog domain amplifier.

So what are the advantages of an amplifier that will accept a digital signal directly? S/N? Power distortion? Other?

My answr may not be fully satisfactory, but my perspective is that if Full digital Amp performs well, this allows me to simplify my set-up => DAC out. The only focus can then be to deliver reliable digital data to the amp, which is a mature thing, where analog stuff is a kind of art, with significant influence of quality of components and all the associated blabla.

I'm experiencing with D802, but haven't golden hears and comparison benchmark Amp to compare accurately enough. However, I like the simplification aspect.

JMF

I see threads on this topic now and then, and I'm curious: why bother? The way I see it, if you have a digital signal you cannot send that to the loudspeakers, right? So at the loudspeaker you need an analog signal. At what point you go from a digital representation to an analog one is only slightly different if you do that in the amplifier itself, versus if you do that in a DAC that is directly connected to a traditional analog domain amplifier.

So what are the advantages of an amplifier that will accept a digital signal directly? S/N? Power distortion? Other?

An amp with digital USB input appeals greatly to those of us that like simplicity. It means that all required is a PC or other MP source and (usually tiny) amp not the traditional stack of components.

From a technology point of view, if an amp like these can accept a digital signal and pass that to an amplification chip which can directly translate the digital signal to sound without requiring a digital/analogue conversion it obviously has the potential of superior performance as one processing stage is eliminated. That said my understanding of the technology is that in practice a good DAC and good analogue input amp should out perform the direct digital amp as the direct path benefits are outweighed by the difficulties in applying feedback. And we can of course argue whether it is really a direct digital path or not :)

Yet, despite the above, I thought the technology interesting and cheap enough to try. I had low expectations but was amazed by how realistic and involving music from the d802 was. So to answer your question of why and what advantages does it offer the answer for me is simple - I like the sound. Cheapness, simplicity and small size are all extra plus factors of course but on their own wouldn't keep this amp at the heart of my system.

Thank you guys for sharing your opinion! I appreciate it.
In fact of the matter is that even cheap Chinese amplifiers play well with a good power supply is even better. Dependence in full digital amplifier from the source and the power supply is very high.
The source is not unimportant part of as a good amplifier (digital) can be heard, even how each player plays and running services of Windows. Even better, this problem with feedback, as it is implemented in a chip Zeteks, the sound is magical.
Just thought you may receive new development fully digital amplifiers to buy, collect yourself and listen. For people to share their impressions of these amplifiers and compared their sound detail of Chinese remakes to NAD and Denon.
Of course I will try and collect a power in Russia. So far, the idea here is to apply what TAS5548 and TAS5631.

Agree....
What is strange, is to have a discussion in Class D forum...
Class D amplifiers are not digital!
My concern is this one:
if we are talking about digital chipset, the current FDAs, which are based on class D amplifier are not 100% digital as class D amplifiers run with PWM signals. For exemple, an Intel CPU is 100% digital as it manage only digital signals, internally, and externally.

If we are talking about an entire amplification system, then we can have FDA with class A amplifier as well with class AB or D (with a DAC and a digital input). In this case I am very happy to know my current system with a Raspberry pi, a DAC and a TPA3116 is FDA :)

Ok, theses FDA chips bring more simplification as they have digital to analog/PWM conversion embedded ... But this can be a disadvantage because you can not choose your DAC.... It is like using the graphic GPU from a CPU... gamers prefers dedicated graphic cards for performance.

So in all cases I think FDA is not a thread for class D forum. Or a better definition is needed.

so this is digital sound and it is not class D

Who knows. The clarion site is marketing puff and has no technical details. They seem to have produced an 'active driver' rather than an 'active speaker' but there is no specification of what the amplification is. They also call their subwoofers 'active speakers' as well but the diagram show them clearly as conventional analogue ones.

Just marketing - don't waste your time :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.