All Eminence OB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
point is in NO BOX ;
same as when you hear spk without xover- than you realize what is xover's influence

so- with this "poor man OB" intention is to use honestly priced drivers ,and squeeze full potential from them .........

no frills etc ,just starting with Papa's approach - "good enough" (especially when is cheap enough) and tweak it further ..... constantly enjoying in listening da muzak

:clown:

so- mebbe best way is to use 18" as Lampizator in OB ,or mean 15" in sort of TQWT ....... but in any case- avoiding CB,BR and similar iterations

that's my (always humble) opinion
:cool:

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005

Attachments

• 175e19731a.png
    175e19731a.png
    37.4 KB · Views: 1,214
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
hakunin said:

Well, its just an idea and I'm not even amateur builder. The 10" would have to be used with a bigger subwoofer i think.

in my country I can have spks (from start of this thread) for 55+30+18 Euro ; of course- twice that for pair of each.

I can bet that in your country they're dirt cheap too ..........

besides that, I remember that I saw pretty interesting spks on Tesla site some time ago ;

are they popular in your country or just neglected , as often is case with domestic factories?

edit:

all that under condition that I didn't mix origin of Tesla - sometimes I have problems to remember what's from Czech Republik and what's from Slovakia :clown:

(off course that in meantime I check on net from where Tesla factory is........ hehe)

After several people harranging (sp?) me to try OB's, I'm going to get out the 8 Beta 15's I have and try them in a large WWCWW array with some PAudio BM15CX38's (or EV Pro 12M's), crossed actively somewhere in the 150-200hz range. Seems a waste to have them sitting here and not use them, or at least try them. I have the ply and MDF for the baffles, I just need to get my jasper jig back to rout the holes.

These were the inspiration (from the Hawthorne forum) but I don't recall who's they are to attribute.

Attachments

• 5x15 front.jpeg
    5x15 front.jpeg
    95.9 KB · Views: 1,454
Zen Mod said:

I can bet that in your country they're dirt cheap too ..........

besides that, I remember that I saw pretty interesting spks on Tesla site some time ago ;

are they popular in your country or just neglected , as often is case with domestic factories?

Yes, they're quite cheap and many diyers use them.

Here is some history of tesla Tesla Valmez (TVM) in english : http://www.tvm-valmez.cz/index.php?id=24

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Andy Graddon said:
Some large diam PA drivers actually have quite usable low mids as well, maybe enabling a higher crossover to a smaller, but equally high efficiency mid and top end, so long as a bit of directionality is acceptable.

Yes indeed. There are tens of 1000s of monitor wedges out there (foldback for you Brit types) that use a 12" and a bullet tweeter. In this case, the directionality is an asset. There are also many 15"+1" PA combos around, but they usually don't sound great.

I cross my 15" Selenium at 800Hz and have no trouble at all. You could easily go much lower with a 6 or 8" mid on OB. Finding the crossover point that sounds best for your baffle, drivers, room and ears is where the sport is. Remember - it is D-I-Y. :)

Gees, its only a sheet of 1" mdf and some sides to hold it up. May as well have a shot at it , can't leave a pair of nice drivers on the shelf , that's not right and proper !!!

When I get my tax cheque I'll have to do some ordering from over there. Trouble is the Eminence Alpha 6's come from PE, but other stuff I want comes from Madisound, so I'll have a dual freight charge :xeye:

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Andy Graddon said:
Gees, its only a sheet of 1" mdf and some sides to hold it up. May as well have a shot at it , can't leave a pair of nice drivers on the shelf , that's not right and proper !!!

besides that- you can try (for us?) series xover between bass helper and main driver (that's how I like to call them, not bass- mid) in chase for better integration ........

well - I must confess that I never tried series xover that low and with intentional hole between them

No one seems to have mentioned using an Eminence Alpha 15A as the bass driver yet. After reading Mj King's Project 7 (http://www.quarter-wave.com/Project07/Project07.html - look under "First Project Update" lower on the page) I was convinced to try them. I have them in a 24x35 in baffle and love them. The Alpha 15A has a higher Qts than the other Eminence drivers listed and is less expensive.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
holdent said:
No one seems to have mentioned using an Eminence Alpha 15A as the bass driver yet. After reading Mj King's Project 7 (http://www.quarter-wave.com/Project07/Project07.html - look under "First Project Update" lower on the page) I was convinced to try them. I have them in a 24x35 in baffle and love them. The Alpha 15A has a higher Qts than the other Eminence drivers listed and is less expensive.

we mention Alpha 15 in PMs,especially Yunick - just because is less expensive (hehehe- in my country just 5 Euros ) comparing to Beta ;

but- difference in Qts seems worth that difference- because Beta is less critical thinking of room placement ;

this design is made with passive Xo,and MJK use active Eq in his system

in big room,with higher WAF , Alpha can be better choice than Beta for Poor Man OB ; personally- I prefer drivers of somewhat higher quality ; Alpha looks (sounds?) just little too loose.

I thought I should report what's going on with my project.. I went to Stockholm this weekend and visited the biggest "DIYaudiostore" in Sweden.. I got the missing parts to get the XO right :) (hopefully)

I have replaced the bypassed bipolar electolytics for Alpha-6 with Audyn-Cap MKP 68uf in serie, hopefully that will bring the cutoff frequency down to 290Hz..

I have put a L-Pad on the tweeter for a 9db dampening....

On Zen mod's recomendation, I will later add this:

I still can't belive how good this setup sounds.. The music is so effortless.. The soundstage is really, really deep.. My preavius spks had a flat wall of music between the speakers, now instruments played in the background is heard from the background..

But the biggest difference for me is that it sounds like the artists have a full body.. The sound is very 3D, if I can say so..

There is still some tweaks to come.. EnABl, Phase plug on Alpha-6 and also Choky's recomendations for Beta..

So.. there is more to come. :D:D

I would also like to thank Zen Mod for his support, with out him this project would never have been..

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Yunick said:
I.............

I would also like to thank Zen Mod for his support, with out him this project would never have been..

after all this yrs messing with audio I know now how minuscule my knowledge is ;

but- few thing I learned for that time - to recognize simple solutions "good enough" for me and obligation that I must share what I know .....doesn't matter how small my knowledge is .....

and- yes- also that there is no audio thing bigger than life ; pleasure is everything....... in constructing,producing and -most important- constantly listening da muzak

:clown:

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
mpmarino said:

I've learned this too, and it applies to anything - Since the children came.

If 'good enough' isn't good enough - you will probably never finish:smash:

"practice makes perfect"

nope

practice makes 'good enough'

OK, carry on with OB:)

fly away from this thread ,you rich boy!

ya have Altecs and Klipschs (well- dreky substitute ) ......... Poor Man's OB isn't thread for ya......

:devilr:

----------------

Crazy Serb

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.