Alesis Quadraverb LCD repair

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have one here in my shop, with dead audio outs. I could probably fix it, but since I can find them used and already working all over for under $50, it would be a waste of time... for me anyway.

I have a minimum bench of $45 for stuff like that, and more like $60 labor for the bill. I don't offhand know anyone selling old Alesis displays, but even if I take the working display from my dead unit, I;d still have to charge something for it - $25 comes to mind. SO now the repair is looking like $70-90 range. SO at that point, a used one for $49 sounds like the option.

No, I don't like throwing things away either, but that includes money.

That assumes the display is bad and needs replacing. Have you shone a bright light at it to see if the LCD is working and only the backlight is dead? Does it light up but blank? Or is it dark? Or perhaps the display itself is OK and the drive circuits are toast.

COnsider also that that is really a pretty old unit in terms of technology. You can find some New Behringer unit that will run rings around it for not a lot of money.

These are just my opinions, others may disagree.

Enzo,
Thanks for getting back so soon. The unit is actually from 1992! The LCD lights up, but is blank. And even though it shows input, there is no "wet" sound coming out. I can't even change any parameters because there is no readout.
Yes, I will most likely chuck it. However, I do remember that the power supply for this unit was in big demand, and that is one of the reasons this effect device was becoming extinct.
I still have both PS and rack mount effect and the unit powers up fine.
I am going to throw the whole thing away, but if you're interested in the PS I can send it to you for a nominal fee.
I'll hold on to it for a while.
Dennis

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.