Aleph-X Sim Files

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dear Aleph-X contributors

Being of the lazy sort ... would appreciate the posting of some working Aleph-X sims files by various kind souls, especially:
- GRollins (Grey)
- tschrama (Thijs)
- rtirion
- Joe Berry
- HarryHaller
- Ian Macmillan
- SteveG
- anyone else

Also details of what sofware was used, configuration settings, libraries, etc

Nix

Note to self: Brace for scathing comment from H.H. :D

Nicwix was hoping for actual sim files not just the program ...

Which he won't be able to use without downloading and learning to use the software....... If everyone is going to start swaping simulation files, I guess a common software platform would be nice. I guess I just picked one.

H.H.

Account Disabled
Joined 2002
While I'm honored to be included on such a list of distinguished contributors, I must tell you that I am honestly just starting to understand the circuit. I have not been able to get the simulation for the X to work. I can get the aleph with the variable current sourcing to work, but as soon as I bridge it with a common front end everything falls apart. I am going out on a limb and building Grey's design with a few modifications, namely adding more output devices to push a lower impedance, and possibly reducing the load resistors in the front end and upping the current to reduce the overall gain a little. When I start getting my hands dirty and get the scope on it, then the fun begins. A little blind faith and good luck, and I hope it will all work out.
Steve

Hmmm...the only simulation I've done is of the real world sort where I threw parts together. I gave up simulation a while back when the software I was using told me that a discrete current source wouldn't work. Ahem.
I can put a circuit together in about the same amount of time that it would take to work up a simulation, and the real world version has that little something extra--I don't have to worry if the simulation is accurate.
At one point we had a thread where everyone was talking about the possibility of choosing a standard suite of 'DIY software' so everyone could share whatever files they needed to share. In the normal way that committees work...nothing came of it.

Grey

Re: Nicwix was hoping for actual sim files not just the program ...

HarryHaller said:
Which he won't be able to use without downloading and learning to use the software....... If everyone is going to start swaping simulation files, I guess a common software platform would be nice. I guess I just picked one.

H.H.

Agreed ... SIMetrix certainly provided for quite a learning curve the 1st few times I used it ...

Harry,
Your lack of manners and social graces is showing again. In case you didn't notice, my name was mentioned specifically above. I thought perhaps it would be polite to respond, even if it was to say that I have no simulations on hand.
Adding an emoticon does not excuse your poor behavior. As usual.

Grey

I thought perhaps it would be polite to respond

And I guess that was another example of your politeness. I merely asked that you not waste space in a thead on simulation if you don't use it or understand it. You have now wasted more space and time and turned it into another personal attack. Also the thread is dragged of topic as well. If you will notice, I did say please. I actually think it is useful and think you could learn alot from it. For a moderator you could use a little moderation in your post.

Thank you,

H.H.

I DO NOT moderate here

HarryHaller said:
And I guess that was another example of your politeness. I merely asked that you not waste space in a thead on simulation if you don't use it or understand it. You have now wasted more space and time and turned it into another personal attack. Also the thread is dragged of topic as well. If you will notice, I did say please. I actually think it is useful and think you could learn alot from it. For a moderator you could use a little moderation in your post.

Thank you,

H.H.
Would any one
WANT
ME, to
- :confused: -

gro today

Dear online friends

Does anyone actually have any sims at all - or just opinions on people's manners?

I feel like I'm in the Cheese Shop :D

We all have our way with words - if you don't like a post, just ignore it.

It does seem a pity that it is so difficult to exchange sims created with different packages. I have tried at least five and found each has its pros and cons, but all are tedious and steep to learn. At the risk of starting a new flame war: "Microsoft, please bring out a sim."

Now back to the topic ... post your sims please!!!!

Nic

- Please download Simetrix 4.1 form Newburry
- Take your time to learn this package. (Simetrix does not have a steep learning curve.) Use the examples/ tutorials for this.
- Go get the proper models and learn how to add them to the library's.
- After this it will take you aprox. 15 minutes to enter the schematic for the Aleph-X.

Remember, we are at this forum for the Do It Yourself part.

If you think all of this waists too much of your time, you might consider buying a PassLabs XA.

No offense, of course

rtirion

rtirion said:
... - Please download Simetrix 4.1 form Newburry
- Take your time to learn this package. (Simetrix does not have a steep learning curve.) Use the examples/ tutorials for this.
- Go get the proper models and learn how to add them to the library's.
Firstly, that is good advice, however although you should realise that not everyone finds this as easy as you do (read some of the posts in Aleph-X threads - some cannot get the sims to work, others find it just too hard).

- After this it will take you aprox. 15 minutes to enter the schematic for the Aleph-X.
Exactly which schematic are you referring to? As far as I know, only GRollins and LBHajdu have been kind enough to share their schematics - the other 374 posts in the Aleph-X thread are comments on the topology, talk about configurations (with varying degrees of helpfulness) but no actual diagrams.

Remember, we are at this forum for the Do It Yourself part.
Yes, it's all about sharing information - why then do you have an objection to sharing softcopy information? It would be really nice if you could post your schematics (if not your sim files). :D

There are people strongly for or against using sims - the arguement against is generally that they do not fully replicate actual circuits - true, but a sim can assist in understanding what is happening and can assist in fine tuning designs and identify potential issues (eg operating points, stability, frequency response, gain, sensitivity to component variations, etc). We should encourage use of sims (up to a point anyway).

If you think all of this waists too much of your time, you might consider buying a PassLabs XA.
Unfortunately too poor - anyway, I really like to understand my equipment - designing and building is the only way.

No offense, of course
None taken - and I hope none is given :)

All the best

Nix

:mad:
Maybe you would like to go over the Aleph X thread again.
Namely page 23 were I posted my schematic made in Simetrix.

The post read's like this:

So, here is the schematic for the Aleph-X that I build.
Given the recent posts, I will probably give the 4,7k value
for the famous resistors another try.

Attachment: xa1build.zip

I feel like I'm in the Cheese Shop

???????? Oh that Cheese Shop!

http://www.mwscomp.com/mpfc/cheese.html

I thought the one where the gentlemen pays for Cleese to augue with him was more appropriate.

I think that sharing imformation is great assuming one knows what it is that one is to share. Giving a simulation file out is fine if the recipient knows how to use and interpet the file and program at least a bit. Maybe starting with a simple circuit that has been built and measured, like one of Mr. Pass's articles would be a better first step. The learning curve for the Spice programs is really not that bad. One has to learn to crawl befor one can walk. I think some people want to FLY right away. I think that jumping into an X-amp simulation right away is going to confuse most people.

H.H.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.