Aleph J illustrated build guide

AL Oxide Pads

Has anyone tried the aluminum oxide pads from Aavid-Thermalloy? According to an app note I have from Motorola, they are superior to anything else (except beryllium), thickness accounted for.

However, this was written before Keratherm came across the ocean...

Keratherm 86/82 is way better than AlO2, twice better.
(Beryllium Oxide is toxic and difficult to obtain)

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/31077-krell-ksa-50-pcb-99.html#post777532

Not surprising...as said, that app note was out before Keratherm. Nonetheless, I will try both and see what the heat sink says, just for the sake of posting a comparison table.

I'm also trying to decode the thermal resistance numbers from heatsinkusa's website. They are saying for P/N "4.600" Wide Extruded Aluminum Heatsink", it's 1.4 C/W/3" . That should be 3" length...? So for a length of 9", thermal resistance should be 1.4/3 = 0.47C/W for the 8" piece.

Look right?

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Because it's 400 VA? Or because PSU voltage doesn't matter that much?/
The 400VA is much bigger than necessary - the Firstwatt factory built use 300VA... And as almost everybody uses 35V caps, the extra volts mean little.

What does happen when I'd increase PSU voltage?
Will the AJ be able to deliver (slightly) more power?

Yes, a little. Enough to measure, but not really enough to hear.

Bob Ellis got it correct - buy it because it's in stock. There is no downside.

It works out to be about .7 for doubling in length. So 1°C/W/3" would be .7C/W at 6"

Aavid had a calculator on its website if you are using one of the common profiles. for example Thermal Engineering and Heat Sink Manufacturing - Online Store

Note that it also depends on the delta T between sink and ambient. Aavid shows this on their pages. Helpful.

The link you sent was very useful. As ZM pointed out, and after some refresher reading on thermal transfer, indeed a non-linear relationship. Thanks!
(u2, ZM) :D

The schematic

Attachments

• AJ Sch.png
    AJ Sch.png
    62.2 KB · Views: 2,089