Aleph J illustrated build guide

I would seriously consider buying the back panel kit if you’re thinking of using one of the chassis (4u/5u) from the Diy store. It has the rca input connectors, speaker terminals, power switch AND all the mosfet mounting screws and washers needed. I don’t believe it has the split washers though which you’d need to source separately.

Many thanks for the advice guys, unfortunately I had already got the 4u chassis without the back panel kit but managed to source the IEC socket ok although I must admit, I've never seen a dual fused inlet before and it does concern me slightly! Does 2.5a slow blow sound ok for Aleph J with 500VA transformer 240v? (and DIY audio soft start) I was thinking of using a larger fuse on the neutral side.
Quick question as I am planning to populate my boards tomorrow, should R8 be a 500R pot as per the BOM or a 1k fixed resitor?

Joined 2002
Paid Member
R8 should not be a 500R pot. The BOM I looked at indicates a 2K pot.
It is nominally set to 1K to ensure about 8-ish mA current through the
front end jfets. (So the pot value should be greater than 1K)

I built mine with a 2K pot, set it at 1K, and never touched it since. If
I were to do it again, I would have just gone with a 1K fixed resistor.

Cheers,
Dennis

Just trying to help out, and trying to pay it forward. I’ve received a lot of advice and help with my projects, and am eternally greatful. My first build was in fact an Aleph J thanks to a little push from 6L6 (aka Jim) and Dennis Hui. I was petrified that the little knowledge I had wouldn’t be enough to get through the build, let alone a functioning amp. The help, advice and encouragement from the people on this forum from Nelson himself, 6L6, Zen Mod, Dennis Hui and Mark just to name a few is never ending and appreciated. Without the help I might not be sitting here as I type listening to my J. 😊

Hear, hear.

Now back to the bench, I'm upgrading the PS to dual mono for my AJ.
Best amp I've ever heard as is; but if it can sound any better, I want to know it.

Many thanks for the advice guys, unfortunately I had already got the 4u chassis without the back panel kit but managed to source the IEC socket ok although I must admit, I've never seen a dual fused inlet before and it does concern me slightly! Does 2.5a slow blow sound ok for Aleph J with 500VA transformer 240v? (and DIY audio soft start) I was thinking of using a larger fuse on the neutral side.
Quick question as I am planning to populate my boards tomorrow, should R8 be a 500R pot as per the BOM or a 1k fixed resitor?

The fusses should be the same value, 2.5A slow blow is fine for 240V.

If you use dual diodes (the fast switching/soft recovery types) and you have a large capacitor bank and you decide to use thick&short wires (and you already have a 500VA transformer) the fuse may have to be increased to 3A...or more... see how you'll go.