Aleph 5 - Q for Kit

Long time its now that i post me last Thread here.

Please i watch for a new Project, iam repair little Amp's but not like a pro, I watching meny time
for any Aleph 5, and i see kits on Ebay - China, please are this any possible way.... or what you
think from them, searching for any new Project, any will ask you some little help to go with
a Aleph 5.

Thanks for any possible help.
Regards
Mauri

Unfortunately, many kits from China have PCBs that are not properly constructed for the amp they are supposed to clone. And there is absolutely no customer support. I made the mistake of buying a pair of boards for the Zen V4, which had so many problems that I had to abandon that project. The Aleph 5 must be absolutely correct, or it is not worth the time and expense to attempt.
It is possible that you may get lucky, but I wouldn't count on it. The Aleph 5 can be a wonderful amplifier if built correctly, so it would be a shame to have a bad experience with a poor supplier.
My recommendation would be to get an Aleph J kit from the diyAudio store, and build that instead. It is a fantastic amplifier.

first let me thanks for your fast and good answer, very nice, meny thanks,
and i would wish you a nice happy new 2022!!

ok, i almost thought that the Aleph 3 sounds the most balanced.
I'm looking for something like that, and the Aleph J has "near" the
same musical performance as the 3 series.

I had looked at the 5 series because it would have 60 watts
but what I have not yet found is which of the two 3 and J
sounds better.

But I've just registered, and when the parts from the J series
are ready, i will buy this in the DyiAudio-shop.

I've been listening to music with a McIntosh combination and
Tannoy DC10T Speakers and this for years and I'm whery happy
with this setup, also i'am curious to see how this Aleph sounds
in confront to this.

I’m remembering the original Aleph series of amps used the IRF9610 mosfet for the input voltage gain stage. This transistor is ever so slightly nonlinear, providing a slight emphasis in the midrange and slightly softer treble. For many, this attribute in combination with being single ended and the dominant 2nd order harmonic, made the Aleph series a bit more tube-like in presentation. The Aleph-J uses Toshiba JFets, which are more linear and will, compared to the 9610, provide a pinch less midrange and a pinch more treble while maintaining the single ended output and 2nd order dominant harmonic.

Which is “better” is a matter of what type of sound signature you prefer and the characteristics of your speakers :unsure:

Here are some additional comments concerning the output transistors for an Aleph amplifier. I gathered these from the old Aleph-X thread from about 2 decades ago:

IRFP044 vs IRFP240 vs IRFP244 vs IRFP250 : A number of amps have been built using each of these transistors. Nelson has characterized the differences among the three latter transistors as follows: The 250's have greater current capacity, but twice the capacitance of the 240's and 244's. They will give a better bottom end, and will sound a bit different, for better or worse, depending on your situation and taste. There is very little practical difference between the 240's and 244's. Some have reported that the IRFP044 sounds a little "darker" (more narrow frequency bandwidth and greater high-frequency roll off) than the 240, though this is not really surprising as the 044 has greater capacitance than the 240 series. Essentially, greater capacitance provides slightly better bass, but at the cost of slightly reduced treble. The practical difference, though, is their current capacity. The maximum current and operating temperature ratings have lead many to use the IRFP240/244 for rail voltages of 20v or higher, while using the IRFP044 for 15-20v rails. The lower voltage versions of the amp tend to feature higher current, and the 044's can handle significantly more heat.

More on choices of transistor:
After using the IRFP044s, I then changed over one channel to the IRFP240's with the same power supply conditions (Grey's original schematic). Nelson's comments about gain devices effecting the sound were borne out here. In comparisons, the IRFP240 appears to have a somewhat thinner presentation and more brilliant high frequency response. The IRFP044 is richer sounding with more body in the midrange but otherwise less linear .....The jury is still out but I tend to think that while using only one pair per side of each, neither is better than the other and the IRF240 perhaps offers more latitude to use in various numbers for the right tonal balance. I doubt if I would use the IFRP044 for a tweeter amp in a bi amp setup and more likely the midrange. The entire thread can be found here.

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I’m remembering the original Aleph series of amps used the IRF9610 mosfet for the input voltage gain stage. This transistor is ever so slightly nonlinear, providing a slight emphasis in the midrange and slightly softer treble. For many, this attribute in combination with being single ended and the dominant 2nd order harmonic, made the Aleph series a bit more tube-like in presentation. The Aleph-J uses Toshiba JFets, which are more linear and will, compared to the 9610, provide a pinch less midrange and a pinch more treble while maintaining the single ended output and 2nd order dominant harmonic.

Which is “better” is a matter of what type of sound signature you prefer and the characteristics of your speakers :unsure:
Interestingly, it was not the usual sort of nonlinearity, rather there was the "IR P channel issue" where the transconductance
of the fet shelves down a bit in the midband. Not a big issue for a diff pair, but it does have a sonic signature. It's a bigger issue
for Vas transistors and push-pull complementary output stages. You can get around that by using either other transistors or
the Harris versions of the parts, or like Charles Hansen, swear off Mosfets altogether.

:snail:

Thank you all for participating! meny Thanks Nelson for being in my thread too
also the website from Eric is awesome! I'm already a bit overwhelmed! so cool !!
--

I think the Tannoy Speaker of my setup with the horn and the somewhat
powerful bass can play almost anything, jazz, classic and it can still
go also rocky or thounder sound :)

On a trial time I had a SonusFaber in the house, which was sounding in the
higher ranges and middle crystalclear, just different from the Tannoy ( but mutch clearer).
But I always missed the background feeling, the bass side was relay thinnnnnnn. With
the existing loudspeaker setup, the overall impression was simply much more "present" shown.
Therefore I had recaped the Tannoy, exchanged capacitors and changed the horn,
I have to say, in my opinion this was the best intervention! yes the SF goes back to shop!

I think there is nothing else I can do to build a J for the time and listen to it, if I "like" it
have to look at the 3 series again. I understand that now from any the 3 series consumes
a lot more power and therefore could come a little closer to a tubed sound expiriences.

Almost unbelievable I don't have anything here with me yet, and yet I'm so excited
about this amp........... I have to be patient a little longer.

I can't order yet because J Kit is currently sold out.
thanks meny time!!

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
in my book, Tannoy DC - in proper condition and with proper xover** , are waaaaay more fun than anything Fabers

on par clarity wise, if not even better, and having that lower mid and rest bellow authority where Fabers are having none

**not El Cheapo factory made - usual switches and bass choke and autoformer for Tweet, are cringing for sorting/upgrade

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Pa meant few things:

-9610 is P channel, while 2SK170 is N channel (OK, maybe is just a slip - you did think of 2SJ74 there)

- but, 9610 is best used with current several times higher than for 2SJ ........ which means different value for drain resistor ........ thus different resulting OLG etc.

of course, if you did compare two fully optimized versions, nothing wrong then