Aleph 2 transformer advice

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hey, im building some aleph 2's and need a little help with the transformer selection.

i am looking at the plitron standard power transformer, 1.5KVA. i have 4 32,000uf caps per channel. i know the rail voltage for the aleph 2 is +-45V, but i have read of people use many different values. in this particular model, plitron carries a 38, 40, and 45V output type. which should i use? i pretty much know how the rest of the amp will work, but i am still a little unsure about the power supply part of the project. any help would be appreciated.

yldouright:

i got them from someone in this forum, for like $80 US shipped for a total of 9 of them. maybe a little expensive, but it sure beats looking around for some...

hum, so i if the production aleph2's used 750VA, why is everyone using like TWICE that? shouldnt i be more than fine with 1KVA?

and how do inductors work? i know you add them in the cap bank, but do they reduce voltage? and if so, whats the formula to figure out what values i will need?

sorry for all the questions, but im no EE, and i searched for all of this, but its just not here, or really hidden somewhere.

Even when you have more voltage than original design it's perfectly OK as long as your caps and heat sinks can deal with it. Alephs are very flexible when it comes to parts and voltage changes.

The original amps used smaller transformers and less caps and no coils and sounded great. I don't know where this fascination with overdoing comes from?;) 1kW transformer per channel is more than enough.

cowanrg

Really, $80 shipped for 9 30kuF caps that's like $7 a piece! Can you provide me his name and do you know if has any more? Why do you think they're expensive? Are these tantalums or real metal caps? Are they good quality or like automotive grade. The Aleph 4 (stereo amp) used a 1.5kVA but it fed two channels. If I find the parts list, for the Aleph 2 I'll mail it to you.

nah, they arent tantalums, i dont know much, but i know those are bad. they are real aluminum electrolytics... mepco's i believe... they are brand new too. he is all out of them, he just had a few left over from another project, sorry.

i guess my thing is, if the original used 750VA, i could get away with using a 1KVA, because with plitron they offer a ton more options. for instance, i could go with 25, 30, 31, 33, or 35... so would that be better to do? this is for 6 channels of alephs, so each one wont need that kinda overkill power....

yldouright said:
cowanrg

Really, $80 shipped for 9 30kuF caps that's like $7 a piece! Can you provide me his name and do you know if has any more? Why do you think they're expensive? Are these tantalums or real metal caps? Are they good quality or like automotive grade. The Aleph 4 (stereo amp) used a 1.5kVA but it fed two channels. If I find the parts list, for the Aleph 2 I'll mail it to you.

I used standard quality 4$, 35A/800V bridge.
When I started the project I tryed to get informations from guy`s on passdiy galery (didn`t know about this forum than) who actualy build those aleph amps. If I can remember corectly, Wayn Shorter, the only one at the time on that webside with aleph 2`s, said that Nelson stated that "1,5kW woul`d be even beter" over 1kW which Wayne used, when he asked him for opinion!? So, overkilled or not, in my case they do a job properly. I supouse that anything 800 to 1500W would be fine. Power rating - afect on DC voltage drop??? It should not. Should it?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.