Alcons RBN-Series - ultimate sounded high frequency Loudspeakers; where to buy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I cannot find offers of follow ribbon models:

1) RBN401
2) RBN601 and the largest ribbon driver of the world:
3) RBN1801
Alcons Audio launches its largest ribbon driver RBN1801
alcons audio - evolutionary audio solutions ®

only complete loudspeakers are to find, e. g.
Kompakte Alcons SR9 2-Weg Box jetzt lieferbar

but also without price offers

Who knows delivery sources that can offer both complete loudspeakers and only the ribbon drivers?

The Stage Accompany is an alternative.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/planars-exotics/152359-stage-accompany-end-not.html
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/mult...e-accompany-sa8535-sa-8535-a.html#post2311796

Which other alternatives to this ribbon drivers are on the market?
Perhaps the "RT-7 pro" (RT7 RT7pro) from Expolinear?
http://www.hifisound.de/oxid/out/oxbaseshop/html/0/text_pdf/EXP-1012690.pdf
http://www.createforum.com/petereur...5128d658aba82cfd92f8702bdf88&mforum=petereuro

Attachments

• Alcones RBN-1801 front 41226alc.jpg
    Alcones RBN-1801 front 41226alc.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 756
  • Alcones VR8.jpg
    Alcones VR8.jpg
    458.3 KB · Views: 792
Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2008
As far as I know, Alcons drivers are not available to anyone, not even OEM customers, only as finished Alcons speakers. I know a few speaker manufacurers who have tried for years to buy Alcons drivers... with no luck so far.

SA is possible to get hold of I know.

I would rather look at the various AMT alternatives out there...

I cannot find offers of follow ribbon models:

1) RBN401
2) RBN601 and the largest ribbon driver of the world:
3) RBN1801
Alcons Audio launches its largest ribbon driver RBN1801

only complete loudspeakers are to find, e. g.
Kompakte Alcons SR9 2-Weg Box jetzt lieferbar

but also without price offers

Who knows delivery sources that can offer both complete loudspeakers and only the ribbon drivers?

The Stage Accompany is an alternative.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/planars-exotics/152359-stage-accompany-end-not.html
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/mult...e-accompany-sa8535-sa-8535-a.html#post2311796

Which other alternatives to this ribbon drivers are on the market?
Perhaps the "RT-7 pro" (RT7 RT7pro) from Expolinear?
http://www.hifisound.de/oxid/out/oxbaseshop/html/0/text_pdf/EXP-1012690.pdf
SOCIAL AUDIO DISTORTION FORUM :: View topic - Expolinear RT7 Pro

Hello,

I am currently using the Beyma TPL-150H (the horn loaded version) and I am really pleased about its qualities. What I would really like, though, was to take these qualities much further down in frequency, say down to 600 Hz. Unfortunately this is not possible with the TPL if you still want to play loud (and I do!).

This restriction made me look around for large, high efficiency, pro ribbons. Thus, I have also asked Alcon Audio about their monster ribbons, but I got a firm answer that they did not sell single drivers at all.

Another interesting option might be the serious ribbons from Transmission
Audio:

www.transmissionaudio.com

At one point I enquired about their ribbons, but never got a reply.

Finally, there is the chineese manufacturer Akip Lab, who makes the PA-108 driver:

Akip lab - Professional ribbon speaker manufacture

This driver should load down to 600 Hz, but when the company heard that I enquired as a private person and not as a company, I never got further replies. Actually, the Akip Lab PA-108 looks a lot like the ribbon used in the fairly new high efficiency speaker from DIY-Hifi supply:)

Best regards
Peter

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
I've measured the NeoPro 5i. It has a rather pronounced resonance around 900 Hz, so I would not run it farther down than say 1500 Hz, regardless of loading.

The big hornloaded Beyma TPL-150H can be used down to 8-900 Hz if you put it in a fairly wide baffle to lower the horn cut-off somewhat. The TPL doesn't have any obvious resonance either.

I've measured the NeoPro 5i. It has a rather pronounced resonance around 900 Hz, so I would not run it farther down than say 1500 Hz, regardless of loading.

The big hornloaded Beyma TPL-150H can be used down to 8-900 Hz if you put it in a fairly wide baffle to lower the horn cut-off somewhat. The TPL doesn't have any obvious resonance either.

Thanks for replying, StigErik!

I have my horn loaded TPL's on a 50 cm wide and 30 cm high baffle, and under these conditions it loads rolls off below 1300 Hz. It may go further down in frequency on an even larger baffle, but in my setup I would prefer not to place the TPL further away from the mids. Besides, the directivity of the horn is only constant down to 1300 Hz, but maybe on a larger horn!? It is a great tweeter, and taking these qualities down to the mids would be very attractive indeed!

Best regards
Peter

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
I also used a 50 cm wide baffle for the TPL. What I did when crossing over at 900 Hz, was to use the natural roll-off as a part of the crossover, enabling a 4th order slope with just a 2nd order filter topology. That way it was possible to cross at 900 Hz even if the driver itself rolled off earlier. I didn't observe any downsides doing that, and power handling was certainly not a problem. The speaker (which also had two reflex-loaded 15" woofers) could play exceptionally loud with a 1000W amp without much complaint from the tweeter..... :eek:

I also used a 50 cm wide baffle for the TPL. What I did when crossing over at 900 Hz, was to use the natural roll-off as a part of the crossover, enabling a 4th order slope with just a 2nd order filter topology. That way it was possible to cross at 900 Hz even if the driver itself rolled off earlier. I didn't observe any downsides doing that, and power handling was certainly not a problem. The speaker (which also had two reflex-loaded 15" woofers) could play exceptionally loud with a 1000W amp without much complaint from the tweeter..... :eek:

Hello StigErik,

Thanks for the reply! I may try to lower the crossover then! I still wish Beyma would make a giant version of this driver, though:)

Best regards
Peter

Thanks StigErik!
I have not used the NeoPro 5 but that is exactly what I would have expected looking at the waterfall plot published by Fountek themselves.
I use a JP3.0 as a supertweeter above 10k, a role it fulfills very well.

Hello,

I am currently using the Beyma TPL-150H (the horn loaded version) and I am really pleased about its qualities. What I would really like, though, was to take these qualities much further down in frequency, say down to 600 Hz. Unfortunately this is not possible with the TPL if you still want to play loud (and I do!).

This restriction made me look around for large, high efficiency, pro ribbons. Thus, I have also asked Alcon Audio about their monster ribbons, but I got a firm answer that they did not sell single drivers at all.

Another interesting option might be the serious ribbons from Transmission
Audio:

Transmission Audio Inc.

At one point I enquired about their ribbons, but never got a reply.

Finally, there is the chineese manufacturer Akip Lab, who makes the PA-108 driver:

Akip lab - Professional ribbon speaker manufacture

This driver should load down to 600 Hz, but when the company heard that I enquired as a private person and not as a company, I never got further replies. Actually, the Akip Lab PA-108 looks a lot like the ribbon used in the fairly new high efficiency speaker from DIY-Hifi supply:)

Best regards
Peter

Last edited:
in the meantime I have heard the same model (TPL150H) together with two Beyma 10G40 - go to
LOW & MID FREQUENCY 10G40 | Beyma
in a vented and closed box (d'appolito).
I was amazed about the resolution in the whole frequency range - very natural in all respects. Essential is a very low distortion class A amp - usual Class AB and Class-D are not good due to the very high resolution by this AMT tweeter.

Hi tiefbassuebertr, do you have any more details on this speaker?
Would love to hear much more about them,

Regards

The concept based on this 2-1/2 way concept from Dieter Achenbach in Germany ("SON B MK-II with PHL transducers) with various differences:
Achenbach SON B MKII, Lautsprecher - HIFI-FORUM
The developer was the starter of this thread from Germany:
http://www.analog-forum.de/wbboard/...tärker-lautsprecher-zubehör/81613-smsl-sa-50/
maybe you can send him a PM about this forum to get more details.

For me of interest are the differences by listening tests between the high frequency speakers in the same kind like RBN-Series, SA8535 and ESS AMT
check out this:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/164153-amt-ess-1-vs-stage-accompany-sa8535-sa-8535-a.html

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.