AjHorn works but not Horn response

Hello,

I purchased AJ Horn and i can work everything great. i now wish to build these but the only folding program i can find uses horn response which drives me insane.
When i simulate a tapped horn in Horn Response 1 of two things happens.
1) the driver is in the wrong spot and i dont know why
2) if the driver is in the right spot, switching to acoustical power shows a very similar response to AJ, but when you try find max spl, any voltage (as low as 1volt) then turns acoustical graph into a weird W shape. i then switch back to input parameters and hit calculate and the response goes back to normal.

If anyone can help that would be of greatly appreciated.
Here are the settings.
in case i have input something wrong, the beginning of the horn is 50 sq cm and the mouth is 232sq cm and is 3250 long.

Thank you

horn driver.JPG

Horn res input.JPG

OK, so to place the drivers as close to the ends of the horn as possible, set L12 and L45 to just over half the chassis diameter, then increase L23 and L34 to restore the total length of the horn back to what you wanted.

PS, you’ll also need to readjust S2 downwards and S4 upwards to maintain the original horn expansion.

Also, if you’re building with straight panels in a parallel sided box, using Par rather than Con for the length profile is more accurate – just press P on the keyboard when any length segment is highlighted to change that.

Last edited:

stv

Joined 2005
Paid Member
any voltage (as low as 1volt) then turns acoustical graph into a weird W shape.
You can look this up in the help file!

Max spl calculates the max available driver output based on your provided and selected data:
  • Max output power of amp
  • max output voltage of amp
  • max output current of amp
  • max allowed (thermal) driver power
  • max allowed cone excursion

Max spl is not based on your selected calculation input voltage (that would not make much sense).

The result will always be "jagged", because in the lower end the driver is mostly limited by excursion and excursion varies very much with any resonant enclosure.
Also the driver power and current changes very much with the respective impedance peaks.

As described in the help file you can always go back to the normal (constant defined voltage) output by clicking max spl and leaving any input field blank.

Last edited: