AIWA sx-r275 replacement

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, my name is Felipe and I was looking for building or buying a replacement for those surround speakers (Aiwa sx-r275). I have already trying connecting regular speakers to the surroung sound output, but they sound to be to low. Is that correct or I have to do something else?
Thanks a lot

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Hi Felipe and welcome:)

I suspect your Awia speakers are 4Ohm impedance, and the replacement ones are 8 Ohm.

Other than buying or building some 4 Ohm speakers to match, the only other way of getting this to work would be to use another amp to power them, if you have line outputs on your processor or TV.

Good luck

Hi pinkmouse,

First I wanna thank you for your reply...
Im afraid i havent told you all the story..
Five years ago i bought a AIWA nsx-a505 and brought to Brazil...
By that time I was looking for the model nsx-a507 which came with those surround speakers i've mentioned before (sx-r275)...
I couldnt find it and i decided to buy the a505 anyway...
Since then i tryied to buy those surround speakers separatelly, but i lost my hope...
I read the manual and looked for the specifications of these speakers... the manual says that those speakers should be from 8 ohm to 16 ohm and nothing more... Ive tested some speakers from 8 to 16 ohm, some small ones (from walkman headphones to those speakers from my pc) and some big ones... All of them sounded too low... I dont know if it should sound like this or its wrong or something... Ive already tryied to clean all the conectors and nothing changed... I hope you or someone could give me some hints, cause im almost sure that those surround speakers should sound a little bit higher... I dont know if inside these surround speakers there is a little amp, but i think there isnt, cause they dont ask for a power supply... I was looking for some directions that would help me choose the best speaker to buy or to make...

Thanks a lot in advance... ;)

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
No Problem:)

Ok, I did a web search on the Aiwa, and for what I can see, the surround speaker outputs are at line level, not speaker level.

So, the first thing to do is have a look at the outputs you are plugging into, if they are phono, ( sometimes called RCA), sockets, like standard sockets you would use to plug a CD or turntable into, then you will need a seperate amp to make the surround speakers work. Sorry. If they are terminals for bare wire, or 2 pin DIN type sockets, then post back here and I will try and help more.

As for speaker recomendations, do a search on the forum for Home Theater/Theatre speakers, this is probably easier than me just giving you a list, as you can then compare people's opinions and make up your own mind, as well as working out what you can afford and obtain locally.

Good luck:)

dear pinkmouse,

thanks again for your reply...
Yes, the outputs are phono...
I made a research too, and couldnt find anything that showed that those rear speakers need a amp to work... I still dont know what to do, cause nowadays we cant find anything old, we just can find things related to those new home theather systems that im sure are not appropriated...
I will try to find anything related to those old quad systems, and try to see if those speakers need a amp or not to work... If they need, I can make one, but if they dont, I dont know which kind of speakers to look for...
Thanks again

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.