AE TD12M cheap alternative - Faital 12PR300?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2009
augerpro said:

Why would make a claim about the superiority of this mystery driver, and then, having both measurements and listening impressions, not share any of it?

There is no data on AE drivers either. For a long time now. The driver is out of production and I which to avoid a run on it on the second hand market. I would like to purchase 2 more samples to check my previous results ;-)

John_E_Janowitz said:

There is nothing made in china/korea/hell as you are mentioning.... All in all, it takes about an additional extra hour of careful work to machine the parts for the Apollo upgrade and assemble.

http://www.aespeakers.com/Apollo.php

John

I beg Your pardon. I'm sorry, really. My assumption that You let machine and assemble the parts in a sweatshop must have hurt You. It is all to common that production is outsourced. Even a very special product as AI "Summa" is partly made in Thailand, isn't it? Again, I beg Your pardon, John.

Unfortunately I could not afford Your drivers for the shipping cost to Europe. Neverthless some data on the drivers performance would be highly appreciated, IMD, HD freq.response plots etc.

Thank's for Your correction.

Neverthless some data on the drivers performance would be highly appreciated, IMD, HD freq.response plots etc.

Its happening as we speak, Augerpro has several of the Lambda Drivers in house and tests are being done. He did not want my Apollo upgrades though, it would have been nice to see the differences between them and the standard version.

wxa666 said:

Shorting rings are an option with TD12H called "Apollo". Supplied as an upgrade but older devices can not be upgraded? Cost is adding 100$ to the price for one fresh new basic unit ~ +30%! To much to be fair in my opinion, sorry.

18sound has had invented "A.I.C." as a sophisticated shorting by an actively driven coil. Along with the honest investigation of its benefit highly energized motors of good design have been shown to not need that shorting to much, if it not does mess up things.

One of my best drivers of this size has absolutely no shorting in the gap. In spite of being advertized as the (major) companies "statement driver" about 5 years ago. It is qualified by IMD that are more than 10dB lower as the average with well know premium devices. Due to some boredom with this ol drivers, so I thought, it's superiority has been heard rather than measured first - I'm no audiophile ...

The 18Sound 12NDA520 on my shelf shows similar operation, but excursion is a bit limited. The ol' one without any shorting beats that A.I.C. powered device. Your generalization is odd. In general it is met, but there are many exceptions that are worth a closer investigation.

Could anybody explain that tremendous extra charge for shortings in TD12H? If it was mounted in China/Korea/Hell whatever as I assume why not implement it right in place for that 50cc people are payed there? Strange thing happening.

edit: from my experience the older B&C 12HPL64 driver without shortig performs prefereable to the newer NDL76 variant with shorting.

These drivers are HAND built in good old USA so thats another plus for Americans to support their own manufacturing facilities ;)

Beside that you are not forced to buy the upgrade....I had no concerns myself over spending an extra $100 on the upgrade considering my project was to outperform speakers that cost $10K, YMMV.

tinitus said:

Well, thats still an open question, how it will be used

DBT are popular these days
Would be interesting whether people actually hear any difference between a woofer with shortrings and the same without, crossed around 300hz, and played at "normal" listening SPL
My double 8" never move much, so I reckon I could get a better woofer with one having less Xmax
That huge Xmax seems like completely waste of energy fore someone like myself

It puzzles me tho why no neo woofers seem to have shortrings
Even when they come from companies who does use such with their ceramic drivers

I dare not say my wiev on glued double magnets
Any reason why you dont use bigger single magnets
As of now the only reason I havent ordered yet

I see your EU site is growing
Is it active fore ordering

I thought the OP posted his intent....There are limited options out there.

btw, in a DBT (I Have done it) I can not tell the difference between the TD12S and regular 8" drivers from my Klipsch RB-81s during simplistic level testing....turn it up to 125 dBs then we have a BIG difference ;)

Again its application specific and you are right to say the huge Xmax is probably a waste for you. I want HUGE dynamics and I search last year for the best solution, the TD series was the winner.

btw, the OP posted this

Surprisingly enough a two-way... Crossover around 1,3khz to an 1 inch compression driver, hence an 12 inch woofer to match dispersion.

so we should keep on topic of his specific needs and not rip apart John's drivers because they do not suit other needs.

If someone has other drivers that handle 1.3KHz crossovers and also matches the disperation of a WG/CD design Im all ears too.....We only know of 1 choice other under $200 so far.

Well, we know of two but someone is keeping it a secret :rolleyes:

Disabled Account
Joined 2009
doug20 said:

These drivers are HAND built in good old USA so thats another plus for Americans to support their own manufacturing facilities ;)

Beside that you are not forced to buy the upgrade....I had no concerns myself over spending an extra $100 on the upgrade considering my project was to outperform speakers that cost $10K, YMMV.

I feel forced to justify my assumption that specially the second shorting is overprized. My assumption was wrong clearly as John could show.

Many corporations let build their stuff in China/.. etc. The production cost for a common shorting is below a dollar or so. AE does not provide data on the benefit of a secondary shorting. I've the personal experience that shorting with a good design is not really necessary, and so the inventors of the sophisticated "A.I.C." system, 18sound too. I pulled the whole story of a second shorting into question. The question is answered for good - partly. But taking my mistake into consideration, I'm not the one to question it further.

wxa666 said:

I feel forced to justify my assumption that specially the second shorting is overprized. My assumption was wrong clearly as John could show.

Many corporations let build their stuff in China/.. etc. The production cost for a common shorting is below a dollar or so. AE does not provide data on the benefit of a secondary shorting. I've the personal experience that shorting with a good design is not really necessary, and so the inventors of the sophisticated "A.I.C." system, 18sound too. I pulled the whole story of a second shorting into question. The question is answered for good.

btw: mine outperform any speaker irregardless of the price ;-) That's what I've made them for.

Again, no one is arguing with you that they may be overpriced. John is very honest and straight forward in what he does, if someone thinks they are worth it so be it, its ONLY $100 and to me that is losing one hole of golf (its a relative thing).

If you think they are overpriced then do not buy the upgrades. Is there a need to go after John because he does not want to use Chinese manufacturing?? Kudos to him to keep the work in America for once and charge a little extra for it. Im okay with that but I know you are from a different country so you have little concern about them being made in America.

Im also happy yours outperform any speaker of any price but that is meaningless here since you post zero data, zero information.

You want to impress people, post it all ;)

Ha, you deleted that last comment.....why is it such a secret?

wxa666 said:

There is no data on AE drivers either. For a long time now. The driver is out of production and I which to avoid a run on it on the second hand market. I would like to purchase 2 more samples to check my previous results ;-)

I don't know if you meant one of our drivers is out of production, or another driver. We can always make any of the past Lambda drivers anytime necessary and also recone any of the old ones if there are ever issues.

There is a lot of data on the drivers by many respected individuals, just not publicly posted. We have been doing multiple drivers for Salk Sound for their new Archos, their HT3, the new HT4 or whatever it will be called. Jeff Bagby stated the TD12H was the lowest distortion driver has has tested in the past 30yrs of working with speakers and that other drivers can't even begin to compare. Mark Seaton uses a custom 12" driver in his Catalyst. Duke uses the TD12 in his Planetarium system. Those in the recording industry are relying on our TD drivers as upgrades to the famed TAD woofers and others of that kind. All of these people have measured and verified data and then made the decision to use the drivers.

I beg Your pardon. I'm sorry, really. My assumption that You let machine and assemble the parts in a sweatshop must have hurt You.

No problem. It is very rare that anyone would go through all the effort we do. In this day and age it just isn't heard of.

Unfortunately I could not afford Your drivers for the shipping cost to Europe. Neverthless some data on the drivers performance would be highly appreciated, IMD, HD freq.response plots etc.

We had looked into distributors in europe. the problem was that the cost to the end user would go up if we took that route. We can often send 2-4 drivers to many major airports in Europe for only around $145-175 total. At $50-$75 per driver this is much less than the 50% markup any distributor would wish to make to sell the products. Due to the individual hand built nature of the drivers we just can't afford to discount the price 50% so a distributor can sell at the same retail. The only option to keep distributors happy then is to drastically increase our retail prices. That wouldn't make too many end users happy though. :)

John

Disabled Account
Joined 2009
John_E_Janowitz said:

I don't know if you meant one of our drivers is out of production, or another driver.
We had looked into distributors in europe. ...

John

John,

I meant an other driver, from Europe that is out of production. It shows very low intermodulation without shorting rings. Better than any other of the many models I have had here with or without one to multiple rings. That shorting is not necessary in every case.

Alas, one guideline lost that a DIYer could use to select a driver by its documentation only. If You would provide some data regarding the benefit of that secondary shorting it would be much easier to decide for or against that monetary effort.

May be I buy some drivers when I'm in US next time. Overweight garanteed as I see.

cheers

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
doug20 said:

I thought the OP posted his intent....There are limited options out there.

btw, the OP posted this

so we should keep on topic of his specific needs and not rip apart John's drivers because they do not suit other needs.

If someone has other drivers that handle 1.3KHz crossovers and also matches the disperation of a WG/CD design Im all ears too.....We only know of 1 choice other under $200 so far.

Well, we know of two but someone is keeping it a secret :rolleyes:

Totally true

First and most, topic aim would be whether Faital would be an alternative option
Well, John claims there are no alternatives at all, if I remember correctly
This is what started focus the debate on AE drivers
Which is a quite fair response, trying to figure out if there could any truth in such claims
I take it we dont have to take his words for it

But to be honest, many of us usually dont like to buy drivers with no response measurements shown, even when we know they are rarely to be trusted completely
But still relevant

Mind you, I have NEVER doubted that AE is an honest hard working company
But it would suit their professionalism much better if they didnt use any oppertunity to mock all other driver makes
I cant help it, but it puts me off, and just enough to make me think twice about buying
So, as a friendly "heads-up" to John, I will say that such strategy doesnt work very well, at least not on me
Sorry to be negative, but Im just being honest about it

But sure, I like the technology, I really do:cool:
I only whish they had a driver to suit MY needs better, but Faital may suit me better
I may have to talk with John about a TD15M with lower Fs

To repeat it, TD15M probably would be a very good choise, on the topic
Though I dont know any of them, I still find Faital interesting too
I like the looks of those too, very "smooth" design, and which driver is really perfect anyway :clown:

btw, cheap alternative? I could suggest Eminence BETA-8 :D

Point well taken.

Question about the 8" driver suggestion

The OP posted

Surprisingly enough a two-way... Crossover around 1,3khz to an 1 inch compression driver, hence an 12 inch woofer to match dispersion.

So can 8" drivers match the dispersion of a CD/waveguide with a crossover @ 1.3kHz? I have been reading they can not but it would be cool to know the truth.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Ahh, ok, I didnt know it was me

But yeah, I did suggest Beta-8 :rolleyes:

To answer that we would need to know more about the CD/waveguide

I suppose to use waveguide on 8" too would help
Maybe use double 8" would alter dispersion

Also the xo design might matter

8" dispersion?
Wouldnt it begin to narrow around 1khz?
So it has constant directivity(CD) only up to 1khz
It will have less dispersion above 1khz, but at exactly what frequency it will match the waveguide is hard to say

Anyway, are you certain thats the main issue of the design

tinitus said:

8" dispersion?
Wouldn't it begin to narrow around 1khz?
So it has constant directivity(CD) only up to 1khz
It will have less dispersion above 1khz, but at exactly what frequency it will match the waveguide is hard to say.

There IS a formula.

tinitus said:

Anyway, are you certain that's the main issue of the design?

It's an important one when mating woofers with CD horns/waveguides. In theory, the dispersion should match at the crossover frequency.... :yes:

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
ZilchLab said:

It's an important one when mating woofers with CD horns/waveguides. In theory, the dispersion should match at the crossover frequency.... :yes:

I know thats a useful parameter for doing such design
And it probably works well too

I dont think its proven that it ONLY works that way

But if constant directivity is the design goal, then thats what matters

I can make just about any poor speaker sound acceptable or maybe even good
But even though I mostly know what to do, I admit I dont know much about why it works

In science theres lots of "backwards" thinking to find an explanation why it works, but scientists also know that when they do that its not the proof of why it works, but merely a way to be able to repeat the success
You could say its a proof of HOW it works, but not WHY it works
But if it works its still OK

tinitus said:
I know thats a useful parameter for doing such design
And it probably works well too

I dont think its proven that it ONLY works that way

But if constant directivity is the design goal, then thats what matters

You don't match the DI of woofer and horn for CD reasons, you do it for smooth power response. That is a goal for ALL speakers regardless if they are CD or not. I don't know what consititutes "proven" to you but this also backed up listener testing.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
augerpro said:

I don't know what consititutes "proven" to you but this also backed up listener testing.

Certainly listening tests will never have any value as a scientific proof
It just shows that it works
It doesnt prove that nothing else will work
But never mind
If thats what you have as a priority to decide on design and driver so be it
But sure, it may be needed when using a driver way beyond what many people would dare to try
Taking a driver to its very limit will always need special attention
I admit I have never heard a woofer sound much good
So, I suggested Beta-8
But I could suggest 8-10" PHL, but obviously not gonna work

I have decided long ago that I will try to avoid suggesting anything that is to be used very close, or beyond its limit, at least not with out proper practical experience with that certain product

So please just ignore my suggestion of using 8"

tinitus said:

Certainly listening tests will never have any value as a scientific proof
It just shows that it works
It doesnt prove that nothing else works will work
But never mind
If thats what you have as a priority to decide on design and driver so be it
But sure, it may be needed when using a driver way beyond what many people would dare to try
Taking a driver to its very limit will always need special attention
I admit I have never heard a woofer sound good
So, I suggested Beta-8
But I could suggest 8-10" PHL, but obviously not gonna work

Please, lets find other good drivers ;)

I can certainly confirm that PHL 8" sounds good as open open baffle my model is 2450(spl=93-95dB) with Fs=82Hz compared to a more popular model, PHL1120 which has a higher Fs and better spl>95dB at mid range.

So you're telling me that any study involving perception cannot not be proof of anything because it cannot be proven in what, a mathematical sense? So I guess Floyd Toole has been wasting the last 30 years proving nothing? And every other researcher into human perception?

Besides you are talking about the "whys". I'm talking about the "whats". I don't know why people prefer smooth power response, But studies show they do.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.