Adire HE12 crossover building help...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone, I am in the middle of building some special cabinets that will use the same Eminence Beta 12CX and Eminence APT-50 drivers of the Adire HE12. The cabinets will have roughly the same size as one of the 2 versions of the HE12.
It was the best possible solution for the "special" design of the cabinet as suggested by ThorstenL here in the forum.
Anyway, I am halfway thru the construction of the boxes but I need to start the crossover. It will use the same crossover that the HE12 used ( I have the plans ) but I have never built one so I asked some people that were helping me in an older thread I started but ThorstenL and Loren42 are too busy at the moment so I was trying to see if there was someone else here that could help with it.
I could pay for the labor as far as it was not too much :)
The thing is that this is a project for a friend and I dont want to start learning about crossover building in a "customers" project, plus I dont have much spare time after my job and the cabinet building.
Please is someone is interested, leave me a private message or here in the thread.
I am in Seattle so it should be in the USA so that shipping would not kill me.
If there is someone in Seattle also, even better since it would be really cool to test the cabinets after being finished. They are going to be something really interesting.
Thank you very much...
Leo

Leo,

What exactly do you need help with? If it's actually wiring up the crossover, that might not be a problem. Do you have all the componets already? I'm assuming that you have Dan Wiggin's schematic, do you have a printed circuit board, or would it be placed on a perforated board?

Just asking.

Best Regards,
TerryO

Last edited:
Hi Terry and Gary, thanks for the replies. Terry, I needed help wiring or actually building the physical crossover. I have been reading about it and it doesnt seem too dificult but there are many questions that I dont have the answer for and prefer not to mess it up since these speakers are not for me.
Yes I have Dan Wiggin's schematic and I am about to buy all the components at Parts Express but I had a few questions since they dont have all the exact parts.
The issues are: It needs a 2.4uF 250V but Parts Express has only 2.2uF 250V
22uF 160V and there is only 22uF 100V
2.7mH 16 AWG P-Core Inductor and there is 2.7mH 15 AWG P-Core Inductor
0.36mH 20 AWG P-Core Inductor and there is 0.35mH 20 AWG P-Core Inductor
0.18mH 20 AWG P-Core Inductor and there is 0.20mH 20 AWG P-Core Inductor
13 Ohm 10W Resistor and there is 12.5 Ohm 10W Resistor
I know some of these may be ok with replacements but I dont know if I have to go higher or lower on them.
I will send you the Schematic and the links of the parts I found at Parts Express so you can see if everything is ok and I can start buying them if it is ok with you?
Also let me know how much would you charge to make both crossovers please.
Thank you very much...
Leo

Note that the tweeter in the HE12.1 is not a stock APT-50 but a special OEM. You will probably need to fiddle with the crossover to get it to sound right.

Here's an old thread where Dan Wiggins discusses the differences:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/34438-adire-he-12-1-a.html

Tony,

You're correct that the tweeter is a special OEM and is not the same as the stock APT-50.

Leo,

I have been on the phone and have located a pair of the special OEM versions of the APT-50 tweeters that are New-In-Box. The seller wants $20 each. Unfortunately for me, and luckily for you, I must maintain my amateur standing so there is no finder's fee, etc., although you would have to pay for the tweeters plus shipping.

I was actually able to also catch Dan Wiggins and he said he'd email me his best version of the crossover for the HE-12 this evening. I can then verify that your parts list matches up to his schematic. I'll be attending my Class Reunion, so I'll be gone until Sunday.

As far as cost, how about you pay for all the parts, some pegboard (actually I've got some), a roll of solder and a cup of decent coffee (for me!). If that sound workable, and you can hold off until Sunday or so before ordering parts, just PM me. The testing might be doable as well, but Gary Dahl's offer is generous to say the least. Gary is well known in Audio circles and is extremely knowledgeable.

Best Regards,
TerryO

Last edited:
Oh man, and I was starting to think for a little while that I was not going to find anybody to help me with the crossover here but it seems that I have again a couple of really cool guys ready to help. I got to admit, this forum is pretty cool. So yes Gary, I will take your offer and as soon as I have the cabinets built I will try to take it to your place.
Thank you everyone again.
Leo

(BTW: Are you related to Ludwig Dahl?)

The Danish artist? No, not that I know of. My ancestors were from Norway.

I do know that I am related to Ole Bull (1810-1880), the Norwegian virtuoso violinist and composer. It didn't get me anywhere on the violin, though. My wife is the only violinist in the house!

I am a conductor and a timpanist, however, so maybe I got a little something through the genes (maybe some Bull? ;)).

Gary Dahl

The Danish artist? No, not that I know of. My ancestors were from Norway.

I do know that I am related to Ole Bull (1810-1880), the Norwegian virtuoso violinist and composer. It didn't get me anywhere on the violin, though. My wife is the only violinist in the house!

I am a conductor and a timpanist, however, so maybe I got a little something through the genes (maybe some Bull? ;)).

Gary Dahl

A Dane?
No, actually he was a decent sort. :D

He was a Professor at Bremerton Community College and as Norwegian as you or I. In fact, he was just a baby when his folks moved from Norway to the States.

Best Regards,
TerryO

Hi All,
For anyone following this thread, I'd like you to know that the HE12.1 Mk II Audiophile version of the crossover is quite a bit different than what Leo mentions in post #4 of this thread, which I believe to be a PA system version.
Dan Wiggins said that Audiophile version doesn't have the power handling capacity of the PA version, but it's quite efficient and will get very loud inside just about any normal listening space. I might add that Dan feels it is quite a bit more refined sounding.

Best Regards,
TerryO

I couldn't help myself, I just had to post something on this thread. Leo and I have been corresponding privately and I went to his house today to deliver the tweeters and pick up the crossover parts. Not only is Leo a very nice guy, but quite talented too. I had a chance to see one of the cabinets that he's just about completed and it was unlike anything I could have imagined.

I have taken an oath of silence, so I can't elaborate on his speaker too much. But I will say, that unless a comet hits his house and destroys those cabinets, people are in for a real treat. The workmanship is absolutely first class (Yeah, I'm starting to hate him already!) and perhaps more important, he has used a bit of Bondo! It's nowhere even close to being the amount of Bondo that I use, but then, I am the acknowledged expert of Bondo Technology and Bad Speaker Design!
:D

All kidding aside, when these are finished they are going to be a completely unique design and in my opinion: a really, absolutely and totally cool pair of speakers. Stay tuned for the pictures when they're done!

Best Regards,
TerryO

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.