Adire DPL12, very disappointing?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Bill Fitzpatrick said:
After reading a number of posts on this forum, it appears that Adire offers an interesting guarantee - they guarantee that you will get a defective woofer plus all the inconveniece involved.
Bill,

It's a sad fact of the Internet that you WILL hear about every single problem, but never hear the thousands of non-problems. Yes, we have an occasional problem, but we stand behind our products, even reimbursing shipping costs (who else does that). I can assure you it's few and far between.

Dan Wiggins
Adire Audio

I did some more experiments with my woofer. If I drive it to a couple of mm excursion in open air, the noise seems to be coming from the voice coil. If I cover up the pole vent with my handpalm, the noise gets worse.

Conclusion of the woofer noise problem: the noise I hear is just air coming out of the air gap. If you are in front of the dust cap, it sounds like the dust cap (or something under the dustcap) is making noise - the reason for the original post. I'm a perfectionist, so I expect no noise at all. However, I don't think there is a woofer that doesn't make noise.

And another conclusion: In open air it is easy to obtain a high acceleration with only 10 Watts of power. If I could achieve the same acceleration in a closed box, SPL would be so high the noise is masked anyway.

Last night I found a fragment of music at which the enclosed woofer sounded terribly. And by terrible, I mean 30$ car stereo. I put my head 5 inch in front of the cone, hearing a lot of distortion. It really sounds like the woofer itself is distorting like hell. I open the door of my room: distortion disappears. So the enclosed-woofer-distortion I heard the last days probably was probably stuff resonating, and not the woofer. I placed the woofer in the middle of my front wall now, below my PC desk (first it was located in the corner), and it sounds WAY BETTER now. I can wack my 21" CRT half a mm up and down without distortion. Well there is distortion, but now it is clear that isn't coming from the woofer, but from *somewhere* in my room. A lot of people might call me an idiot now, but at least I learned something: if your ears say sound is coming from a certain point, it probably is coming from somewhere else. A common mistake for beginning DIY'ers?

Hereby I apologise for being a newbie, and I also apologise to Adire Audio for thinking their woofers weren't as good as they say. :-(

WAY BETTER

Yes, we have an occasional problem, but we stand behind our products, even reimbursing shipping costs (who else does that). I can assure you it's few and far between.

I'd like to attest to this, Adire has always been great to deal with service and support wise.

And FWIW Otto, I've had a similar embarrasing experience trying to figure out what was wrong with a speaker for about 4 hours, only to realize it was some glass in my entertainment unit vibrating.

Bill Fitzpatrick said:
After reading a number of posts on this forum, it appears that Adire offers an interesting guarantee - they guarantee that you will get a defective woofer plus all the inconveniece involved.

:rolleyes:

I've purchased a number of Adire products and been happy with all of them. It's unfortunate when something goes wrong, especially when you've waited so long to receive it but these things happen. I have a nice story about an amp I purchased from Hong Kong but the difference is what the company that sold the product is willing to do to help. Adire excels at this!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.