Additional digital output on Teac VRDS players

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
sac, audiotuning, am

Hi,
I just bought a vrds 25x player. I`d like to know if anyone of you, owners of 25x, have any expirience with named companies, ofering a TEAC 25x tuning. AD 825 convert., lc XO2 reference master reclocking, recaping with BG-ates...... and lot moore. I think that 25x is a great player, and I supouse, I`ll leave it that way, but I`d like to hear from some one who tried the modification, DIY or other way. Guido, what are the sonical benefits, of reclocking and other mods?
thanks
regards
Marijan

ps
Can some one tell something moore about temperature compensated crystal oscillator (TCXO), used in Wadia 270 transport, which is based on the same TEAC CMK 3.2 transp. used in TEAC vrds 25x cd player. Is there a posibility of implementation in such a player as 25x.

Can some one tell something moore about temperature compensated crystal oscillator (TCXO), used in Wadia 270 transport, which is based on the same TEAC CMK 3.2 transp. used in TEAC vrds 25x cd player. Is there a posibility of implementation in such a player as 25x.

Hi Marijan,

Just forget about the TCXO Wadia uses in it's transports/players.
It's just home made Wadia circuit, made with Wadia IC's. IMHO you'll have the best CD player for the money, if you use a KWAK CLOCK like I did and you use BG's in your PSU. The Analogue out MUST BE MADE WITH DESCRETE COMPONENTS! Otherwise you'll mis 1/2 of the best sound this monster can give you. And If you ask me, I would forget about the BAL-out and use only the new ANALOGUE OUT!

You can order one by e-mailing Elso Kwak.

If you think you'r VRDS 25X is good, just do the mods and than thank us for the modifications we gave you.

Best regards,

Audiofanatic ;)

The noise is insignificant with the PC yes its slightly more hiss but not anymore then phonostages add. The music far outweighs the small hiss. CD rom spinnin??? the music is copied to the harddisk uncompressed...... Dont just BASH this try it and see!!

Everything is free!
Ive seen one other person who has quoted his use of a Comp as transport with the plusses!

Everyone else balks at the idea and send academic, technical jargon towards me to say why its a bad idea. JUST TRY IT before squashing the idea it really does sound better.

Re: sac, audiotuning, am

marijan said:
Hi,
I just bought a vrds 25x player. I`d like to know if anyone of you, owners of 25x, have any expirience with named companies, ofering a TEAC 25x tuning. AD 825 convert., lc XO2 reference master reclocking, recaping with BG-ates...... and lot moore. I think that 25x is a great player, and I supouse, I`ll leave it that way, but I`d like to hear from some one who tried the modification, DIY or other way. Guido, what are the sonical benefits, of reclocking and other mods?
thanks
regards
Marijan

ps

Hi

New clock (at least my own clock) gives lower distortion, hence higher resolution, less stress and cleaner sound, also in the low end.

I adapted the servo circuit of my 10, to make it slower, added new supplies for clock and all servo's, as to avoid these nasty currents running througfh the (single) sided servo board.

All results in a less mechanical sound

TCXO is utter nonsense to my ears, I have yet to find proof of the fact that my player runs within 1 ppm from day to day.

PEOPLE ON THE LIST: PPM values only specify spectral parts of jitter in the micro Herz range - yes micro !

Sorry for shouting but I get so tired of all companies claiming that what they do is so important because of this and that and using dull arguments with zero correlation to what they are technically trying to express.

I know manufacturers of low jitter clocks specifying noise in the time domain without specifying the measurement bandwidth..........

Science shall be respected !

Feed clocks with low noise siupplies, they deserve that

all the best

One of my other hobby's is, or actually was, because it's so expensive, R/C car racing (electric powered).
In the transmitter we also work with xtals. If you crashed your car too often you might experience over time that the response was decreasing.. So you'd have to exchange xtals.

Now to make some people paranoid! :devily: If you've set your player down too fast, the xtal might got damaged..

The ppm value on the xtal is indeed only the tolerance on the fabrication. :devilr:

Re: Re: sac, audiotuning, am

New clock (at least my own clock) gives lower distortion, hence higher resolution, less stress and cleaner sound, also in the low end.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is some misconception about clocks. Some claim more analytical wham bang sort of presentation is due to improved clocking. But the reverse should be the case - more natural presentation with higher resolution and better sound stage should be the result. You can hear this as you lower the noise in the power supply and improve the digital interface.

More hi-fi sound in the movie sense can be due to poor clock or good clock with poor supply. Don't just believe what you are told, experiment yourself.

experiment yourself

Well, I supouse that the answer is (like in the most cases) in combination of subjective taste for diferent kind of sonical caracter`s of component and the objective (mesureable) benefits of the new (or old) tehnologies coming up this day`s. "You should try it" certanly is the wright answer, but sadly it can not be the solution for all the cases (money, money...):apathic:, that`s whay I`m trying to get a few impresions from the people who tryed it. You don`t need to belive everything, but you can get moore clearly picture about what` going on, I think. Now I`m going to check out Elso Kwak thread`s. Thank`s!
regars
marijan

Audiofanatic said:
P.S. Terry, I may sell my VRDS 7 if you'r interested.

Whoops, my reading was too fast. Uhm, thanks, but I'm going to get a T1 this tuesday. For a very reasonable price, half of what somebody else wanted to have for his vrds-10.
(too bad it isn't in gold)

I might be able to lend the cheap dac of my neighbor, as I don't have one yet. I'm hoping somebody would sell his parasound dac-1600hd (probably on ebay germany).

And then I could insert some tried and tested mods... :)

SisterOfMercy said:

Whoops, my reading was too fast. Uhm, thanks, but I'm going to get a T1 this tuesday. For a very reasonable price, half of what somebody else wanted to have for his vrds-10.
(too bad it isn't in gold)

I might be able to lend the cheap dac of my neighbor, as I don't have one yet. I'm hoping somebody would sell his parasound dac-1600hd (probably on ebay germany).

And then I could insert some tried and tested mods... :)

Fine by me. I hope you don't pay to much for the transport cause they may need a new laserunit and that would cost you atleast €80,= excl. verzendkosten.

Succes, and let me know if you succeed!

Audiofanatic ;)

SisterOfMercy said:
Ok, I finally have it here!
Really big'n'black, and heavy.. Took a look inside..

It looks great..

As I don't have a dac yet I have some time to modify it..

Any suggestions? :)

I'm happy you got it and you'r happy with it!
First thing is to try to get your hands on a Service Manual.
Thing to modify are to much to mention.
Start with a good PSU and Kwak Klock.

You can e-mail Elso for that!

Send us a pic if it's possible.
Ones again congrats and have fun!

Regards,

Audiofanatic ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.