• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Adding subwoofer pre out to SSE

Hi, I'm building Tubelab Simple SE amp for only 6V6s in triode mode. What modifications are needed to the schematics to add a high pass filter and subwoofer pre out, switchable on/off with a switch?
I'm building the amp point to point so modifications are easy to make. My speakers are Omega Super 6 Alnicos 93 dB sensitivity and amp putting out only around or less than 2 watts per channel, I was thinking making amps job easier by taking out lower than ~80Hz signal would help somewhat. I was going to add a subwoofer anyway but first planned to take the signal for the subwoofer from speaker connectors, because my sub has both speaker and line level inputs with low pass filter, but adding a pre out would surely be a better way.
Help from the pros highly appreciated! :)

Joined 2011
Paid Member
There are lots of ways to achieve your goal. Adding a pre-out to the SSE would involve tapping into the signal just after the volume POT. Split each channel into two and run a L/R pair through a switch to RCA outs. Run the other pair though the switched passive high-pass filters and then into the SSE board inputs. Same switch enables/disables high-pass and enables/disables pre-out. Getting the high-pass in the amp and the low-pass in the sub to blend nicely (including phase issues) might be a PITA. Also possible issues with ground loops and all the other typical potential issues that might be introduced.

Another option: Build a dedicated pre-amp that performs the functions above, plus volume control, source switching, tone (if desired) and then build and use SSE as a power amp.

Another option: Use DSP crossover to dump the <80Hz signal directly to sub and the remaining to SSE (configured as a power amp). miniDSP, CamillaDSP, etc. can all do this sort of thing with ease with excellent results.

I recommend exploring all these options (and others that I may be unaware of?) before moving forward.

Adding a pre-out to the SSE is what I would like to try first, maybe building a dedicated pre-amp could be a future project, with pre-amp a subwoofer could be used easily with other tube amps too that I have.
I have a measurement microphone so I think with the help of that and REW getting the subwoofer to blend wouldn't be too hard. Only problem is I don't know what components/modifications are needed to the SSE to add the switchable pre-out with HPF in a best way sound quality wise.. :)