Adding filter caps to underside of PCB

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Hello all Members

I posted this query in the PeeCeeBee V5 discussion thread which seems to have gone dead. Searched also with no luck.

I would like to mount 2 extra 10,000uF capacitors underneath my PeeCeeBee psu. Should I mount them on the cap pads closest to the transformer inputs or closest to the psu outs ( as shown in the image attached from member zebulo), or does it matter?

Thanks,

MM

Caps.jpg

I would recommend that you mount them close to the PSU outputs. If you place them near the input, the surge current will be even higher with a larger input cap which might decrease the lifetime of that cap. So it does matter. For further discussion, see XRK's explanation years ago in his SLB thread.

Also understand that if you have a softstart, your thermistor in the softstart will also have to deal with a higher surge current. Since you are only adding 20mF, that won't be a big change. If you were to add 100mF then I would recalculate the energy stored in your power supply (i.e. all the capacitors including the additional ones) and make sure it doesn't exceed the joule rating of your thermistor. See here for further discussions and calculations.

Best,
Anand.