Add a car stereo triggered on/off switch?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a great amp I want to install in my car but, it will be connected direct to the battery and the source signal will of course be my car stereo. The issue being there is no lead for a remote turn on and I don't want the thing on all the time bleeding my battery dry.

Is there an easy solution for adding a small relay of some kind so I can turn on the amp with the car stereo's amp trigger lead?

Run a new 12V line either from your fuse box or from a distribution block on your battery if you have one (or directly from your battery, but that would just add clutter). Install a 12V toggle switch (search for one on Google or eBay) in the new "hot" wire and wire to the "switch" wire on your car stereo. Mount the switch on your dash or somewhere easy to reach. Voila!

I don't think the toggle switch has to be high-amperage, since the switch wire is only telling the head unit to turn on and draw power from the 12V battery-direct wire. A lot of toggle switches I'm seeing online are 16A. I would guess that's plenty for your purposes.

Also, I'm no car electrics expert. However, while back, I undertook the more complex task of replacing my stock ignition switch with a toggle/button setup, and it has worked flawlessly so far.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.