Active XOs, and Amp built into speaker, or seperate

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Im about to start an expensive, active 3 way speaker system. I was planning on powering them with a 6 ch gainclone, fed from an active crossover based on the Active Filter One board.

At first I planned to put the 6ch amp in a case, and the active xover in another case. Now, I'm thinking it might be a better idea to just build the crossover and amp inside the speakers themselves.

A problem with this idea is that then I would have to plug the speakers into an outlet somewheres. Turning off the speakers at night, would require me to go behind each speaker and turn off the switch. Also, I wouldn't want to run a power cord next to an interconnect due to RFI.

However, there are a few advantages of putting the amps/xos in the speakers. I would be able to solder the xos directly to the amps, therefore i wouldn't require rca jacks or interconnects. I wouldn't require banana jacks, and only short wires are required, making an easier load on the amp. I also wouldnt have to buy a couple of cases, saving me some money.

Here's the question, should I build the amp and xover inside the speakers or inside cases?

Thanks
Alex

A problem with this idea is that then I would have to plug the speakers into an outlet somewheres. Turning off the speakers at night, would require me to go behind each speaker and turn off the switch. Also, I wouldn't want to run a power cord next to an interconnect due to RFI.

No need to creep behind the speakers for switching on and off the hole thing.
There are nice & simple signal activated power switching circuits (->google) , which switch power on and off dependend if there is an audio signal.
When there is an audio signal coming the speakers power on. You can configure a delay (I usually make this half an hour or so) after everything will be powered down when there is no more audio signal.
Such a circuit is very handy and indispensable for active speakers IMO.

If You put the amps/crossovers in a seperate enclosure You`d have the power cord next to an interconnect also, or not, depends on Your design...

I`d vote for integrating amps/crossovers into the speakers.:smash:

having amps in the speakers has some decided advantages, but i always worry about vibrations/microphonics in the amps from the speakers... people go as far as removing the passive XO from inside a speaker, a power amp is much more delicate.

Hi Dave,

I should have been more precise.
Of course I did not mean that the electronics should share the same volume than the drivers.

Having built a couple of active speakers already I know there`re a few things to consider (if I say "into the enclosure" now, I don`t mean the volume where the drivers are):

heat:
I wouldn`t try to incorporate a couple of Class-A amps into a speaker box but I see no problems with a couple of "Gainclones".

serviceability:
I wouldn`t make fixed installations in the speaker enclosure but build everything electronic related in a solid metal enclosure, just like stand-alone gear, only that it is much less work as it hasn`t to be nice looking.
The electronic box and the connections amps/speakers should be made in a way that the electronics part can be removed out of the box without much hassle.
I`m thinking about an electronic enclosure with "front"-plate and handles as some sort of "plug-in", gliding on ball-bearing rails (such things for heavy drawers) in and out of the enclosure (while for example at the same time making the amps/speaker contacts) .

vibrations/microphonics:
I think it`s not too difficult to decouple the electronic box from the speaker box in a way that vibrations do not have a chance.
Springs, strings, rubber/silicon feets....... I think every skilled DIYer will come up with a couple of decent and not too complicated/expensive solutions for this.

off topic question for Dave (as he`s moderator):
is there a way that after logging in I do not get logged out automatically every 5 minutes (this get`s really annoying while writing a post) ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.