• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

active v.s. passive phono

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Account Closed
Joined 2010
There are lots of good designs on both sides, its just that their performance aren't obvious to the naked eye...just to the ears.You better try them both , but start with the good ones, don't build some shitty one and judge the whole bunch because of that! It took me literally a whole year to see all the designs available on the internet a few years ago and read thousands of opinions about most of them...It never ends...Just build something that's worth the money first! I started with making some of the most craziest designs, but in the end you better think about the money you spend in this sport!

Account Closed
Joined 2010
For some reason this schematic is sold by some, and for free you only find lower resolution pdf...Here's:

Luxman a-3040
It was for free once...If anybody has even a better copy...i'm waiting for years to find it!

Attachments

• post-176471-0-88650900-1398850315.jpg
    post-176471-0-88650900-1398850315.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 579
For example I did a quick back of the CRT scaling up of Broskie's first stage for tubes I have on hand and get the following. The simulated distortion results are many times better than the best I have seen in anything I have gotten using passive methods.

Attachments

• ScaledBroskie1stStg.png
    ScaledBroskie1stStg.png
    67.8 KB · Views: 462
  • Broskie1stStgDist.png
    Broskie1stStgDist.png
    32.6 KB · Views: 455
I know that some builders swear by a mix of PASSIVE and ACTIVE... Basically with RIAA you have 2 POLES and 1 ZERO ... The ZERO being the TURN-OVER frequency @ 500 Hz... If you properly place your 2 POLES, then ZERO will fall in place by itself ..... Some builder will put the 1 POLE active and the other POLE passive... I think some prefer to put the low frequency POLE in the active Feed-Back Loop and then have the High Frequency POLE as passive....some claim it sounds more natural in the highs and more controlled in the lows..

I know that some builders swear by a mix of PASSIVE and ACTIVE... Basically with RIAA you have 2 POLES and 1 ZERO ... The ZERO being the TURN-OVER frequency @ 500 Hz... If you properly place your 2 POLES, then ZERO will fall in place by itself ..... Some builder will put the 1 POLE active and the other POLE passive... I think some prefer to put the low frequency POLE in the active Feed-Back Loop and then have the High Frequency POLE as passive....some claim it sounds more natural in the highs and more controlled in the lows..

Or one could even use passive filtering and linear feedback gain stages to drive them. I am not sure that there would be any advantage over the full active filter but it could be another option. One possible advantage is that distortion would not vary as much with frequency.

The Broskie circuit would be easy to modify for the mixed approach you mention. Might be very interesting. Will definitely investigate that.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.