Active Ribbon Design Considerations

I'm thinking about investing in a pair of RAAL 140-15Ds. They seem like very cool speakers, especially because of how far down they respond to. That brings me to one of my questions, so I'll get right to it:
1) For this specific tweeter, I read on audioexcite (http://www.audioexcite.com/?page_id=2523) that, even though it can crossover at lower, the recommended is about 3khz. Is it possible somehow to cross over lower (the spec sheet states 1600hz) even down to near it's minimum freq response (500hz) and still maintain good noise figures? DSP assisted?
2) From what I've read, ribbon tweeters usually need a transformer in order to match the impedance to whatever circuit they are a part of. Is there anything else to take into account? Ex. Usually for something like a zobel network you would usually use the DC resistance of the speaker in the calculation, but the 140-15D has a DC Re of .13 ohms.
3) Is there any kind of specific fail-safe circuit that should be ran specifically with a ribbon tweeter?
4) Anything else I should know?

You can get away with 2.5Khz and still have acceptable distortion performance, but any lower than that and you start to lose dynamic capability and it sounds strained. This is course depends on crossover slope and other factors too, but I've found it to be a good general rule.

The transformer is already built into the ribbon housing. This is true from most modern ribbon tweets, not to be mistaken with planar tweets.

I've got a pair of 70-20 if you're interested. I can make you a great deal. Message me privately if interested.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    46.7 KB · Views: 41
Last edited: