Active Crossover Hunt

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Have you looked at linkwitzlab.com yet?

Not very nice as the frequency steps were really far apart, but Pyramid (Pyle now?) had (still has?) a 'home or studio' 3-way stereo electronic crossover that used to sell for around $75. I have two (one I found in a pawnshop) and replaced some resistors to make it more useful. I guess I wouldn't call it 'decent,' but it works.

Keep searching: There's lots of options.

SamL said:

although I do have an issue with welbourne labs, my friend bought a valve kit off off them in March last year, still no Amp. They had a family tragidy (fair enough) but 11 months is a little taking the buscuit.
Anyone know a way of getting his money back or getting the amp.
We are here in UK, and all his emails phone calls are getting ignored.
He is £1000 out of pocket at the mo.
cheers for any help.

graham

:mad:

What frequencies will you be crossing at? What kind of speakers? Is it strictly a stereo 2 channel system?
The Behringer stuff is likely to result in audible degradation. I've used a DCX2496 without any modifications via the digital input, and it worked just fine, due to the simple fact that it was only used under a couple hundred Hz at most. The prices are low for a reason.
If you're not running a multichannel setup, going with a dsp based xover would likely be a good choice, depending on your system and personal tastes. If it's multichannel HT, you'll probably be stuck with analog electronic crossovers. If that's the case, there's quite a few good ones out there to choose from. In professional gear, Ashly and a couple others are worth looking into. I haven't personally used a Marchand xover, but I'm always hearing good things about them.

its a good old two channel, crossing at 170hz and probably 10-15khz but not too sure about the upper one, as to whether I am going to use the Aurum cantus G1. the rest of the drivers are Bandor 50mm for the upper and 150mm for the lower/ transmission.
I am using, in each cabinet, 8 small bandor 50mm drivers, and maybe one ribbon aurum cantus G1,
and in the transmission line cabinets 2 back to back 150mm drivers.
the reason for the ribbon, the bandors and incredibly fast (almost electrostatic speed) so want to get that free sound in the very upper reaches.

BHTX said:
What frequencies will you be crossing at? What kind of speakers? Is it strictly a stereo 2 channel system?
The Behringer stuff is likely to result in audible degradation. I've used a DCX2496 without any modifications via the digital input, and it worked just fine, due to the simple fact that it was only used under a couple hundred Hz at most. The prices are low for a reason.
If you're not running a multichannel setup, going with a dsp based xover would likely be a good choice, depending on your system and personal tastes. If it's multichannel HT, you'll probably be stuck with analog electronic crossovers. If that's the case, there's quite a few good ones out there to choose from. In professional gear, Ashly and a couple others are worth looking into. I haven't personally used a Marchand xover, but I'm always hearing good things about them.

ashly and dbx in my opinion are the best I have both. I have owned a few behringer products in the past and all were very noisy

BHTX said:

This is NOT true. I just replaced my Rane AC22B active crossover with the Behringer DCX2496 and the improvements are huge. More detail, more dynamics and more control over the settings. Their prices are lower because they don't hold up well in the mobile field, they use slightly cheaper yet well chosen parts for the money, and are geared more toward the lower budget crowd.

The closest thing to the DCX2496 is the dbx DriveRack PA which is nearly twice as much money with one less input.

crs1 said:

ashly and dbx in my opinion are the best I have both. I have owned a few behringer products in the past and all were very noisy

Agreed, dbx and Ashley are no doubt better products, but again nearly twice as much if not more depending on model.

Also, I too have used several Behringer products over the years, and have never had any kind of noise issues with any of them. With the Rane AC22B in my system, I always had an annoying low-level buzz coming through the horns. Now with the DCX2496 in place, there is zero noise of any kind coming through.

A while back, I also had a dbx Project1 2-way xover that had so much buzzing that I ended up purchasing a Behringer Autocom Pro for the Noise Gate feature.

Just on a side note, I was all ready to purchase the dbx DriveRack PA until I read up on it and found out that it only had 2 inputs. I needed 3 inputs so I could run all 3 front channels of my theater through it, hence why I went with the DCX2496. Plus, I feel that since Behringer has been good to me over the years, I have no reason to not be loyal to them and continue using their gear.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.