Acoustat Answer Man is here

@ marktmeyer

I last moved some One Plus Ones in a full size Ford van. Only about 10 miles so I put corrugated cardboard sheets and blankets down and used sofa cushions to support the frame in the middle.(The wood base keeps it from laying flat)

For a longer drive the interface can be removed- at least the heavy part with the transformer with only a nut driver (probably 5/16) or regular screwdriver and then the bottom formica foot can be removed with 4 phillips screws that go into T-nuts in the base. The wires to the panels are removed with finger nuts.

Half of the black interface box will remain on the panel frame.
With the base off the whole speaker can then lay flat on it's face fully supported.

They are pretty tough but I would not want to bounce them and flex them too much if I had a choice.

I have a Acoustat spectra speaker that is making a frying/sizzling sound. These are the spectra speakers with the wood trim. I have swapped the interfaces and the speaker makes the frying/sizzling sound with either interface. Adjusting the bias down affects how the frying/sizzling sound but does not change the amplitude of the sound much. Reading the threads on this type of noise it appears that particles get trapped between the stators and the film. I have vacuumed the speaker but this had no affect.

I can bring in my compressor and try to hit it high pressure air. I guess I should blow the air on the side that has the stator wires to try to loosen any particles. Would anyone know if this is the front or back? Any special care that needs to be taken (I just have one of those spray nozzles to blow it out with from my compressor). Is there anything else I can try? I really do not want to remove the oak panels and the cloth as I have heard that this is somewhat difficult or destructive process.

Thank you for any help you can provide in advance.
Regards,
gwho

Do NOT use high pressure air. 40 psi is plenty to have the desired effect. Particles could be trapped on either side of the mylar, so do both front and rear. If you can localize where the sounds are coming from you can target those areas at various angles until the problem is resolved. Discharging the speakers for a day first would greatly improve your chances since the electrostatic force could be holding the particles in place.

I appreciate the help from those that responded. I had previously mentioned that I had vacuumed the speaker (both sides). I had also swapped the interfaces (no change on the one speaker making noise). One other thing I tried was adjusting the bias but this did not seem to affect the noise. I then used pressurized air to try to blow out loose particles through the cover fabric. I did this a few times on both sides of the Spectra speaker. It still is making a sizzling or frying type sound. The sound is different from the ticks/pops I have heard occasionally in Acoustat speakers I have heard in the past. Has anyone had this same type of issue with the sizzling/frying type noise and been able to resolve it. My other Spectra speaker does not have this problem.

Regards,
gwho

When I bought my Spectra 4400s (used) they were in serious need of rehabilitation. The brass accent strips are held on with a very strong double-faced tape. You can gently pull the brass trim from the wood trim, but you'll destroy the brass trim (actually brass-plated steel) in the process. I have yet to find a suitable replacement (brass colored or otherwise) for that trim, so my speakers now have wood trim without the accent strip.

The wood trim is held onto the wooden frame with pin nails, and with careful prying, you can remove the wood trim without destroying it. Of course you have some work to do to remove the adhesive residue from the wood trim.

I suppose it's possible to re-use the old cloth after this, but the chances are slim. The original socks are no longer available, see previous posts for suggestions on suitable fabric. I did my speakers long enough ago that the original socks were still available then.

I refinished the wood trim and bases with a suitable shade of Watco Danish Oil, which matches the original finish used.

I know dismantling the speakers is a daunting task, but since your speakers are having troubles, what is there to lose? Most speakers that are 25-30 years old are junk now - be thankful that Acoustats have enough longevity to make the rehabilitation work worthwhile.

@ marktmeyer

I last moved some One Plus Ones in a full size Ford van. Only about 10 miles so I put corrugated cardboard sheets and blankets down and used sofa cushions to support the frame in the middle.(The wood base keeps it from laying flat)

For a longer drive the interface can be removed- at least the heavy part with the transformer with only a nut driver (probably 5/16) or regular screwdriver and then the bottom formica foot can be removed with 4 phillips screws that go into T-nuts in the base. The wires to the panels are removed with finger nuts.

Half of the black interface box will remain on the panel frame.
With the base off the whole speaker can then lay flat on it's face fully supported.

They are pretty tough but I would not want to bounce them and flex them too much if I had a choice.

My recommendation is to ALWAYS remove the interfaces and bases when transporting any Acoustat model. The attachment points between frame, base and interface are NOT designed for the twisting motion that will occur if the speakers are laid on their side and moved about. When I bought my Spectra 4400s (used) the previous owner had moved them around fully assembled, and I had to do some structural damage repair at the bottom of the frame as a result.

AcoustatAnswerMan,

Thank you for the response. I've heard the ticks and pops on electrostatic speakers before (including acoustats). What I am hearing is more of a frying/sizzling sound. I switched interfaces and it did not make a difference. I have read some other threads where they seem to have a similar problem. From your experience, are the ticks/pops and frying sound the same thing (e.g. dust or particles)?

Regards,
gwho

In most cases, ticks & pops and sizzling noises are caused by the same thing: foreign matter trapped in the gap between stator and diaphragm. I would say that sizzling is the worse of the two, as it indicates a continues discharge.

When you get the panels uncovered, be sure the speaker is completely discharged before doing any work with compressed air or vacuum (I recommend both). Work both sides of the panel, and you may need to repeat the procedure multiple times before it works. It usually does. Sometimes it helps to gently bang on the panels' surface with an open palm in an effort to dislodge the offending junk.

Now, if the sizzling sound is coming from somewhere not on the panel, you may have an issue with the wires connecting to the panels. That's pretty rare.