Acoustat 2+2, crossover capacitor replacement options

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Folks,

I am trying to understand what the original Acoustat 2+2 design was trying to achieve in the capacitor crossover circuit in the HI.Freq. transformer circuit that is parallel with the LO Freq. transformer. I want to replace the capacitors with audio grade polypropylene capacitors. Three capacitors are in this parallel circuit. Capacitors currently on board;

.01 uF Polystyrene 100 V DC

10 uF Polypropylene 100 V DC

220 uF Non-polarlytic 50 V DC

Review the March 08, 2019 post (Acoustat 2+2, random speaker cut out....) for schematic and parts list

Can anyone explain what these three capacitors are doing for the sonic footprint of the speakers? I am trying to select the manufactures for these capacitors (all will be a much higher voltage capacity}and I am interested in looking at other options, using other values or arrangement (any opinion are appreciated!).

The 220 uf capacitor is the beasts in the group (compared to the size of the non-polar) . Using a polypropylene capacitor will create a space issue on the board that I will overcome, not many manufactures for these (Mondurf, Solen, maybe one other.) and they are big (higher voltage, smallest is 65mm D x 90 mm L, Mondurf).

Any opinions on what capacitors manufactures will sound the best in this upgrade is also appreciated. If you have other thoughts, send them, always interested in new ideas. Thanks.

Hi...
Most have move on to the Acoustat C-mod Crossover in any of the older MK121-a-2-2a interfaces....as you can see the cap size is now 47mf you can use one poly-better type cap...of you choosing....I have found that I like the sound of a Bipolar Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitor....I tried all types $50 47mf high end caps. Don't forget the added 10ohm 30-50 watt res also...
But in the end the old $2.Bipolar Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitor sound as good if not better. .weird I know....poly type caps have always sounded better...go fig
I have the Acoustat 1+1,2+2,M3,M4 all with this mod..
Search is your friend ….

All one mans finding after 30 years of owning Acoustats….Good luck
Have fun with Acoustat ESL speakers

Attachments

• 1865592-acoustat-esl-parts-panels-an-interfaces[1].jpg
    1865592-acoustat-esl-parts-panels-an-interfaces[1].jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.