ackoDAC based on ES9018

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dear Acko,

Where can I buy U.fl to W.fl coax cables. Today I found out the hard way....

Trying to connect Ian's clock board to your dac AKD12P.

After an hour googling I gave up.

Thank you,

Roumen Sotirov

Roumen,

I mounted W.FL connectors in the place of U.FL and it works quite fine on several boards. Sure it is sensitive, but I was careful to limit how often I connect and disconnect. Also I purchased W.FL tool for handling those cables and connectors, for what I strongly believe is a must. With U.FL you could be without but not with W.FL. As for the mounting connectors, if you never did work with SMD parts, do not make this as your first project. The main difficulty is soldering ground on both sides, yet having connector perfectly centered without applying solder to the outside ground ring. In case that happens, you would not be able to connect cable to it.

Both U.FL and w.fl connectors need careful attention when connecting or disconnecting. Best to plan assembly carefully and connect up just once only especially if you do not have any extraction tools. They are not meant for experiments. For example, when I make the full Combo DACs, and if I have to remove a connection, the cable assembly is discarded for a new one to maintain the build quality.

Last edited:
acko: Sorry for offtopic here - but do you know of any 75ohm mini-coax plug like the u.fl (which is 50ohm)?
I'm asking because it would be great for spdif. i know there are 50ohm BNC to u.fl cables - and i would like something like that for my DAC.

Also, if you integrate volume on the DAC board, make it to work with a Pot rather than rotary encoder, for us who don't want to use a display :)
(i'm planing on using it in a tube headphone amp, and only would like to use USB input).

Last edited:
acko: Sorry for offtopic here - but do you know of any 75ohm mini-coax plug like the u.fl (which is 50ohm)?
I'm asking because it would be great for spdif. i know there are 50ohm BNC to u.fl cables - and i would like something like that for my DAC.

Not sure what you are trying to do but Coax spdif (75ohms) signals cannot be connected directly to DAC. Its signal levels are not compatible and voltage swings from the transmission line effect may damage the DAC. It has to be conditioned with matching 75ohm termination and translated to TTL spdif before going to DAC inputs. This is what a typical spdif receiver does and the ttl spdif output is usually at 50ohm impedance so a 50ohm UFL cable connection suits nicely.

Also, if you integrate volume on the DAC board, make it to work with a Pot rather than rotary encoder, for us who don't want to use a display :)
(i'm planing on using it in a tube headphone amp, and only would like to use USB input).
It has always been with a linear pot. Where did you come across a rotary encoder for Pot?

There has been some updates to this 9016 DAC board. New version has inputs re-mapped for stereo I2S/DSD and 2CH Spdif (TTL). Board layout has been further improved and now with U.FL coax for direct connection to popular transports. Available as bare boards and chip mounted options.

Matching IV boards are now available

Attachments

• AKV-XLR Set.png
    AKV-XLR Set.png
    327.3 KB · Views: 576
Acko: i did myself find MCX are good for 75ohm, but not as small as u.fl and why i need them are for BNC from the case to the PCB where i will have MCX mounted. Now i just need something so switch SPDIF with, maybe a WM8805 or so. Otherwise my buffalo 3 does take both TTL and 75ohm spdif directly into the dac.

But i was thinking maybe building your new ES9018K2M for my headphone amp :)

Acko: i did myself find MCX are good for 75ohm, but not as small as u.fl and why i need them are for BNC from the case to the PCB where i will have MCX mounted. Now i just need something so switch SPDIF with, maybe a WM8805 or so. Otherwise my buffalo 3 does take both TTL and 75ohm spdif directly into the dac.
This should work fine. The BIII has spdif interface on board so no problems connecting spdif signals directly

But i was thinking maybe building your new ES9018K2M for my headphone amp :-
This will be great but hope you can wait a little longer for the design to be completed, possibly Feb2014

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.