Acetone in gas tank

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My Armada don't cause any fire when thinks less and goes faster.

Tire Fire is a term that we use to discuss a smokey burnout. The Mythbusters TV show just recently proved that you can smoke a set of tires until they pop, but there won't be any fire. As I was assembling the Challenger, I made sure that the power train was up to the task even though the body was not completely together yet.

Attachments

• Challenger_2.jpg
    Challenger_2.jpg
    975.6 KB · Views: 159
As I was assembling the Challenger, I made sure that the power train was up to the task even though the body was not completely together yet.

Unbelievably amazing! Such a happy smile while burning a rubber! :eek:
...the last time I brought my Armada on service they strongly suggested to replace tires, they are almost bold... Still saving some money...

Here is the picture of both cars, in 2005:

003.jpg

[They did it wrong./QUOTE]

I have seen several things done wrong by the Mythbusters including several episodes involving automobiles. I have been to several "burnout contests" where people purposely turn tires into smoke. Several contestants get their turn and the winner is judged by audience applause. I have never seen flames but I have seen enough smoke to set off the fire alarms inside the control tower at the track (second picture). And if you have entirely too much money there are special tires made that emit colored smoke when burned (first picture, single frame from a video).

The Mythbusters did several experiments involving microwave ovens in one of their very early shows. I was dissapointed in that show because they got most of it wrong. I have done extensive experimentation along these lines and I can say that a whole carton of eggs will blow the door completely off of the oven and make an incredible mess. I have several pictures to prove that you CAN make plasma at room temperature and atmospheric pressure (third picture). The plasma ball will grow to fill the entire oven, at which time a really wicked sound starts coming from the oven. Sometimes it starts pulsating. This poor oven survived 3 days of extensive experiments until I managed to melt a hole through the floor creating a microwave leak. At this point I relieved it of its transformer and trashed the rest.

Attachments

• RedBurnout_A.jpg
    RedBurnout_A.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 91
  • SmokeyBurnout.jpg
    SmokeyBurnout.jpg
    324.9 KB · Views: 69
  • PLASMA_1.JPG
    PLASMA_1.JPG
    171.9 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
I have several pictures to prove that you CAN make plasma at room temperature and atmospheric pressure (third picture).

I did that once with one egg. was young, knew something might happen, so i talked my brother into doing it and stood back. The door violently blew open, hit the stop, then closed again. luckily it wasn't permanently damaged but I'd hate to see what more than one egg can do. plus we had to clean smelly egg off of walls on the other side of the kitchen..

I keep track of mileage in my Saturn SC2. Best ever, 41mpg - driving 55mph, almost no stopping. Driving 70+ I get about 34mpg. On my 20 mile loop every day I average 31mpg, 1/2 city, 1/2 highway. I record mileage, cost/gal and octane and there is no correlation between octane and mileage on my engine. If the motor is designed for higher octane, lower octane fuels may cause the engine computer to retard the timing to prevent knock, which reduces mileage and can burn valves if you drive like a fool - retarded timing increases exhaust temps.

There are two main methods for measuring octane, which accounts for the high octane numbers in wintermute's fuel. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

Acetone in gas is a myth rather like the people who add a hydrogen generator run off their alternator and claim an increase in fuel mileage....

By the way, especially for this thread I started an experiment: poured 91 gasoline instead of 87 one in my Honda Civic Hybrid.
No difference, still the same 36-37 mpg on the meter.

AFAIK, it has to be a pretty hefty engine, to make much of a difference.

I have experienced that a Kleemann does not like anything below 98 gas. It will simply start acting up when pushed hard.

For the Fiat Punto I currently drive, it doesn't care, as long most of what I pour in it, is gas ;)

Magura :)

Ahhh, another victim of oil company snake oil!

So, actually there are high octane additions to the gas from the same tank? ;)

They did it wrong. My friend burnt off an old pair of tires on his RX7,after about 6-7 minutes,there were flames. It's on video.

I did a flame from my Sentra SE tires, but it was not a real flame, there were sparks caused by stones.

This is sure right. I made that experiment as well, but just with one egg, so the door didn't fly off, but what a mess:D

I used to put an egg into a glass of water, such a way I was getting an egg and a cup of an instant coffee in the same microwave at once. ;)

IIRC they had a colored strip right in the center of the tread.

I got a close look at the tires on the red truck and they did have one red rib in the center of the tread.

I did that once with one egg. was young, knew something might happen, so i talked my brother into doing it and stood back. The door violently blew open, hit the stop, then closed again.

My daughter (with just a little of my help) did a science fair entry in 8th grade (17 years ago) called "foods that go boom." Yes a microwave was involved, and the biggest boom was caused by a single egg. As you stated the door flew open and then slammed back shut. That microwave already had a faulty door interlock so it was used for "science experiments". Her science fair entry took first place in the school, third place in the county, but was banned from the state fair entry because it was "unsafe." OK, I understand why my 6 foot Tesla coil was denied entry to the science fair when I was in high school. The spark gap and foil and glass capacitor just sounded like instant death!

The microwave found its way to my warehouse after the science fair where it was forgotten about. During a clean up I found it and decided it couldn't be thrown out without being "tested" first.

AFAIK, it has to be a pretty hefty engine, to make much of a difference.

It depends on the type of fuel that the engine was designed to run on, and the driving conditions. The fuel requirement depends primarilly on the burn characteristics of the combustion chamber and the static compression ratio. If the octane requirements for a given engine under a given load conditions aren't met the engine will experience "knock" or detonation. This is a highly destructive condition that can melt the tops of pistons, exhaust valves, and piston rings.

Years ago 100 octane gas was as close as the nearest Sunoco station, and many 60's vintage high performance engines required it. Todays best gas is 92 or 93 octane, but todays engines routinely make more power than the vintage engines. In the past 10 years we have learned to accurately model air flow and in the past 5 years we have learned to model both normal and abnormal fuel combustion. Modern cylinder heads and direct injection allow for a much higher compression ratio on less octane, but certain conditions or poor fuel quality could cause detonation, so all modern engines incorporate a detonation sensor that listens for detonation (it is a speciallized microphone). If detonation is detected the engines timing is reduced, and if detonation continues additional fuel is injected. Both of these cause reduced fuel economy. All modern engines are designed to not detonate under normal conditions when run on the type of fuel recommended in the owners manual. Detonation can ocur if fuel is used with less than the recommended octane, or "abnormal" conditions occur. What are abnormal conditions, high ambient temperature, heavy loads, heavy or continuous acceleration, or high altitude.

As stated before additional octane beyond the requirement (premium fuel) usually offers no benefit. However if the engine is sensing even a very mild knock which triggers any of the protective mechanisms additional octane will offer improved mileage, better acceleration, and smother running. Newer engines with a higher specific output (more power per liter of displacement) have tend to run closer to the edge of detonation than engines from a few years ago.

We experienced an extreme case of this a few years ago. We had a Ford Escape with a 3 liter engine that normally ran happily on regular (87 octane) gas from a reputable station. We were in West Virginia, and filled up at the local Smith Market gas station (cheap gas) and headed south pulling a heavy U-haul trailer. Every thing was fine on level roads at low altitude. When we got to the mountains and started going up in altitude I noticed a decrease in performance. We were going up a fairly steep grade at 3000 feet altitude when I noticed that I could only hit 60 MPH with the gas pedal on the floor. This was not normal for this vehicle so I stopped at a WV turnpike service station and added about 10 gallons of 93 octane premium. After adding some good gas to the tank, 80 MPH was no problem under the same conditions.

poured 91 gasoline instead of 87 one in my Honda Civic Hybrid.

My 10 year old Volvo wagon gets 20 MPG in city stop and go driving regardless of what gas I use even though the manual asks for 89 octane. I do not have a means for detecting small mileage changes though.

There is another variable that has not been mentioned. In the US "gasoline" can contain up to 10% ethanol without notifying the consumer. Alchohol has less energy content than gasoline so adding alcohol will reduce the MPG. I have a friend with a Camry Hybrid that accurately measures fuel consumption. He has reported 1 to 2 MPG differences when using the same grade of gas from different brands, but no difference from different grades of gas from the same gas station. He claims that BP gasoline routinely gives him the best mileage.

By the way, especially for this thread I started an experiment: poured 91 gasoline instead of 87 one in my Honda Civic Hybrid.

Since the Civic is designed to run on 87 octane, using premium/91 octane will not yield any additional mileage, as the energy content of both is roughly 125,000 BTU/gal +/- a few percent depending on seasonal blend and a few other things. Premium just allows higher compression without detonation/pre-ignition. The internal combustion engine is basically a heat engine after all.

The oil companies have done a good job of marketing premium as an upscale product, but is your car runs fine on regular, using higher octane gas is wasting $$, since both fuels have the same energy value/gallon.

As tubelab George mentioned, if your car is designed for premium, then running regular will certainly yield decreased performance because the engine management system will have to compensate for the detonation by changing the timing and/or fuel air mixture.

Since the Civic is designed to run on 87 octane, using premium/91 octane will not yield any additional mileage, as the energy content of both is roughly 125,000 BTU/gal +/- a few percent depending on seasonal blend and a few other things. Premium just allows higher compression without detonation/pre-ignition. The internal combustion engine is basically a heat engine after all.

The oil companies have done a good job of marketing premium as an upscale product, but is your car runs fine on regular, using higher octane gas is wasting $$, since both fuels have the same energy value/gallon.

As tubelab George mentioned, if your car is designed for premium, then running regular will certainly yield decreased performance because the engine management system will have to compensate for the detonation by changing the timing and/or fuel air mixture.

Is timing adjustment continuous variable, or 2-positional (knock detected/no knock detected)?

If all gasolines are the same, why I am getting different mileage on products from different gas stations? And why when I bought a gas on Shell in both times there was detonation?

As I said, when I tried 91 instead of 87 there were no improvements. But why when I buy gas on 76 and Valero the car runs better and is more economical than on gas from other stations?
However, the worse gas I once bought in Costco...

My conclusion is, octane number does not matter. The seller does.

One of those little packets of French's mustard will go boom in your micro-wave. So will ketchup and soy sauce, but mustard is the worst.

When I was making this clock I printed the scale on a laser printer, soaked it in a lacquer for a vintage skin look, and put it on a dish in a microwave to dry it faster.

coucou3.jpg

...then few minutes later I heard a loud BOOM!

coucou2.jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.