ac voltage after rectification

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone,

My multimeter reads 37 v dc after rectification and smoothing with a cap across output terminals. I use a 24 v 330 va transformer and a single secondary connected to four mur 860 diode bridge.
However when I check ac voltage it shows 70 v ac! after rectification. What is wrong?

Thanks.

Attachments

• diodebridge1.png
    diodebridge1.png
    3.5 KB · Views: 398
Bill is right. measure AC with AC setting and DC with DC setting.

You can't measure AC on a DC signal.

BUT, you can measure how much DC on an AC signal with your meter set to DC.

the reason for this is simple. DC is direct current, AC is DC but alternating at 50/60 Hz. when you set your meter to AC, it assumes its measuring AC, but it will give you about double your DC voltage because there is no switching (which it is assuming there is).

you can measure DC on an AC signal because the AC is switching too fast to be picked up by DC meter.

meter is set to ac to measure ac

thanks for replies, but I am trying to measure if there is any stray ac voltages after rectification(ripple voltage) and smoothing and I get 70 volt ac reading(meter set to ac). Is this because dc currents are too fast and the meter sees it as ac ?

I agree... Testing in "AC" mode should give some ripple voltage only (after the bridge rectifier), but not a seriously high voltage.
The DC mode should tell the intended working voltage after the rectifier.

A scope can tell more, but should not be needed to find the error.

Check for correct connection to the bridge. Otherwise disconnect it and test every one of the 4 diodes to see if one is shorted.
If you do not have a diode tester, a battery and a resistor should work. Current should flow in one direction, leaving about 0.7 V drop across a diode. If you change polarity, no current should flow, and no voltage drop should occur across the resistor.

Jennice

I happen to have two different multimeters, one really cheap one and a more expensive one.
When measuring a 6V DC supply the cheap multimeter measures 13V when set to measure AC and the more expensive one measures 0,01V when set to AC.
None of the multimeters are true RMS as far as i know....
So I guess the answer lies in the price tag on your multimeter ;)

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Re: not too fast

raif said:
I measure dc voltage with multimeter set to dc. The problem is when I check ac voltage across output terminals( obviously, multimeter set to ac) it shows 70 volts ac!

thanks

This is normal for some cheap multimeters. An AC sine voltage of 70V would have an average values of something in the area of your 37V. Since such a cheap meter is average responding, it is calibrated to show 70V whenever it gets 37V average on AC scale. And of course those 37V DC ARE 37V average to that meter.

Use a series cap to the meter, that will allow you to read the AC ripple.

Jan Didden

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.