Absolut Vodka - A Swedish Invention

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Finlandia. Add some proper salmiakki, yes more than you thought,
shake, and into the dishwasher it goes, for exactly 1 hot wash cycle.
Then into the freezer it goes.
Yums, especially if you let it sit there long enough to thicken up...

or just cut to the chase and go for the bottle of Turkey 101
out under yer saggy-sprung pickup seat. Good in all seasons, hot or cold.

I love vodka. But technically it’s nothing to go fancy about it. Its highly distilled alcohol from a mash of fermented graines or potatoes (although sugar beets, grapes etc are also used). In the past vodka was so bad tasting they used coal filtering to make it somewhat consumeable. Todays vodka is made by highly efficient column distillation. To a point almost no aromatics are present anymore. Afterwards this high percentage alcohol is mixed with water to get to the desired level of alcohol.
I love a good vodka. But it is what it is.

Indeed same with rum. With rum even nastier tastes develops because of the molasses. Before column distillation, they had two options to make it drinkable.
1. Put it a few years away in oak barrels
2. Spice it up with herbs
I’ll give it up to Baccardi. With, at that time, modern technology (column distillation) they turned a waste product into gold.

In San Francisco we have a very inexpensive brand of vodka called SKYY . Their innovation is quadruple column distillation plus triple filtering. Which they apply to railroad carloads of industrial ethanol (!) shipped from Chicago to San Francisco by train. I recently bought a 1.75 liter bottle of their vodka for USD 17 at BevMo.

I actually prefer SKYY over Absolut. But Effen from the Netherlands is better than both, IMO.

The question is is it vodka? If it’s a simple infusion distillation surely that’s more Gin?

Virtually nobody distils from scratch given the legal implications of methanol and the desire for low loss in manufacture. The old whiskey production in Scotland still create from scratch but they only get a portion of the distillate due to methanol being first out of the still.

I thought industrial alcohol gained as byproduct by cracking up crude oil is not suitable for the food chain (at least EU?).

Destiling from the scratch usually is what a premium product separates from a mass product. So I guess any single malt scotch falls under this category as any Cognac especially when it has some protected areal name..as cognac, armagnac.

AFAIK for absinth I think it is differently. It is more like an infusion of herbs therefore ethanol needs to be pure in the first place. Destiling is only used to get rid of the higher molecularweight bittering substances. Btw in this case it is more or less legal to "moonshine" (EU) (AFIAK not sure) because there is no chance of creating methanol by accident.

Last edited:
1. Put it a few years away in oak barrels
2. Spice it up with herbs
I’ll give it up to Baccardi. With, at that time, modern technology (column distillation) they turned a waste product into gold.

Where did this come from? Spiced rum is a very recent invention, rum from the various former French colonies has been great for decades, St. James, Clement, and especially El Dorado. I consider Baccardi the cheap bar stuff.

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Did anyone ever go to the Absolute Vodka Ice Bar in Tokyo?

It was a promo that ran for a few yrs where you stepped into this completely frozen bar where everything was made of ice and they only served Absolute Vodka cocktails. You got t big silver colored ponchos to keep warm. IIRC the temp inside was about -18C which was what it was supposed to be on a ‘mild’ winters day in Sweden.

We stayed for an hour and eventually staggered out before heading off for tepanyaki. I don’t remember much of the evening tbh other than freezing my *** off.

Luksusowa, Zubrowka and the Russian Standard are all very nice, but where I live on lower Vancouver Island we are blessed with at least half a dozen “craft size” spirit distillers of some world class vodkas and, even more so, gins. Which leads me to suggest that carefully paced extensive research into small batch producers local to your own area can yield satisfying results.

I’m not talking rum from decades ago. I’m talking centuries ago. Very first examples of distilling alcohol was to capture its “spirit”. And used medicinal. The Elixirs. For example Chartreuse, a liquor based on 130 macerated herbs. A recipe from 1605! Still produced today.
Early distilled spirits were made by alembics, later on pot stills. By modern standards the spirits made back then were very crude and unrefined.

I also consider Baccardi cheap stuff. Only using it for mixing. Just like Smirnoff. But they succeeded making a waste/cheap base into a low cost spirit, liked all over the world. Absolutely not the best. But it’s what people buy.

I have worked with this wonderfull device a couple of times. So much fun!!

Attachments

• 6D23B71B-DF8B-4AB6-8158-D16A7B5A0397.jpeg
    6D23B71B-DF8B-4AB6-8158-D16A7B5A0397.jpeg
    40.8 KB · Views: 103
  • 10061268-C81F-4992-8370-7C49ED26E70F.jpeg
    10061268-C81F-4992-8370-7C49ED26E70F.jpeg
    83.5 KB · Views: 106
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.