A Zobel Question on STK4241II

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
a pair of 10r 600mW resistors in parallel is equivalent to 5r 1.2W
series connect that parallel pair with a second pair and the four resistor are equivalent to 10r 2.4W
Parallel another set of 4 resistors making 8 in all and you have a 5r 4.8W equivalent.

Start with other values than 10r and you can create any value you need at any power that your need.

Thanks a lot, but you see, I never had any low values in hand to begin with. As I wrote in one of my posts above, other than 4.7Ohm 600mW, the next lowerst value I had was a 100Ohm 0.5W resistor.

Anyway my workplace is near Element14 lwith in a mile radius. And they have a trade-counter, through which I can collect the same day after ordering online. And I just did that. Just came back after collecting this
ERX5SJ4R7 - PANASONIC - RESISTOR METAL FILM, 4.7OHM, 5 | element14 Singapore

Hope this would suffice!

More bad luck followed. After almost 10days, I got time to work on the STK board again. Powered it up for the first time... Connected a dummy speaker. And I powered the board by itself, not with in the host system. Only DC power taken out of the host system.

First power up, all went well. without load, both inputs tied to ground. power consumption was okay around 20W. on +/- 41.5V rails. I powered with a series bulb protector. After seeing the 60W bulb I put in series was very dim, I assumed that it was safe to powerup directly. Then I connected a 12Ohm Speaker load. Again it was okay. Then I tried to give it signal and I used the host board out... And the music played for sometime. There was some noise. So I assume must be because of my grounding... Not any supply hum though.

But anyway at one point, I guess my hands accidentally touched on un-grounded inputs(white I was trying adjust the make-shift input source I was using). Heard a big thump from the cheap test speaker. Only one channel was connected at that time. I started seeing a bit of magic smoke :) Also saw a bit of a small depression on the chip. Heat-sink was a bit hot too...Not sure why would noise induced from my hands would kill the chip in a flash... Unfortunately, I had bypassed the series bulb at that time..

So I assume there went the chip... Now the power meter shows sometimes normal 20W power-consumption without load, and then cyclically it goes up to 120W(again with no load, inputs grounded) and back to 20W again. I have another chip, after checking the pcb again, I will probably solder that one.

I have to travel for my day-job this weekend. So it gotta wait another 2weeks :(

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.