a way to test enclosures for "deadness"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It sounds like you do understand the test procedure (or, at least, you agree with me). In addition to the problem you point out, the way the front of the driver would be loaded is tremendously different than what it would be when operating normally. Resonances and their intensities would be vastly distant under the two sets of conditions. Also, the extra mass of the second enclosure and it's contribution to stiffness throw another monkey wrench in. The OP had a clever idea, but anything learned through actually employing this method will lead to the same place as using common sense... brace as much as logically possible, use stiff and massive materials, and consider constrained layering. I'll stick to one of my best investments, a mechanic's stethoscope.
Loading is largely irrelevant here because enclosure resonances occur at higher frequencies where cone mass overwhelms box effects.

Ok folks let me share with you how I invented this technology. I noticed that my BMW makes farting sounds when playing bass as heard from outside. That's because the jbl suwoofers that are mounted under the front seats have their enclosures backs facing outside of the vehicle. You can't hear the farting inside the car because internal side of enclosure is stiff and inside the music is loud. But outside the car there is no music and all u hear is enclosure flex which sounds like farting. Your accelerometer wouldn't come up with this scientific term for you. My methodology would simply replicate this scenario to allow you to hear your enclosure make farting sounds.

Your logic is oversimplified. According to your logic dipoles and all planar speakers should be silent. The only frequencies that will be cancelled by mechanism you describe are ones below resonance anyway. Resonance in a panel means wavelength shorter than twice panel size. Just trust me that wouldn't be a big issue.

You don't seem to understand his idea at all, also, panel resonances and transmission ARE significant and detrimental to MOST speaker designs.

In most commercial speakers, and even most DIY builds, inadequate bracing/damping/cabinet stiffness is an accepted compromise in order to keep costs (commercial) or complexity (DIY) to an acceptable level.

EDIT: You did make a point that I agree with - EARS trump all other measurements, all measurements are insignificant relative to how the system sounds to our ears, in the end.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.