A Swedish cabinetmakers entry in audioverse

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello y'all,

I am glad to have found this fantastic forum for all lovers of sound and hifi . I am, however, not a genius when it comes to audio. I am a furniture maker and designer who during the last couple of months played with the thought of designing speakers and hifi equipment. Therefor I am looking for experts in this area to work with which have lead me here. For an amateur it takes a while before you understand the complexity of sound and audio and I am just at the foot of the montain, but its a beautiful montain...

My contribution to you is my knowledge in design/woodcraft/furniture and everything else related to wood. I hope I can learn some about speaker building and sound system. My first project to share might be my ipod dockstation that is under construction.

Once again, happy to have found you and wish for a great springtime!

Hello Rasmus, Welcome to the addiction. I think you will have as much to contribute as you may ask for help, considering your cabinet making knowledge. I have some knowledge of speaker cabinet design, much less than many here, but my fine woodworking skills are amateur at best. Someday, I may have questions for you. Right now, I could make a monkey coffin, but not much better.

Peace,

Dave

P.S. Cal, from your avatar pick, your speaker box is gray. Besides, I wouldn't call that just another monkey coffin.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Dave,

The avatar box is actually a faded and dusty black. So are the horns. So is darn near everything else I've built recently.

For the inside stuff, I have used a spray on, textured black product similar to truck bed liner. All three of my inside sets are done this way and I have two black woofer boxes as well. I was really just having fun with planet10 Dave. He likes to kid me about my black boxes, er, monkey coffins. :)

Hello Cal, Thanks for the clarification. I forgot that Planet10 and yourself are neighbors. You got me on the color, I thought it was gray. Does this mean someone is overdue on the cleaning.;)
In regards to the "monkey coffin", the truncated horn on the bass driver would limit the ability of using it as a coffin. Otherwise you could probably bury a mountain gorilla in one of those.:D

Peace,

Dave

dave_gerecke said:
Hello Rasmus, Welcome to the addiction. I think you will have as much to contribute as you may ask for help, considering your cabinet making knowledge. I have some knowledge of speaker cabinet design, much less than many here, but my fine woodworking skills are amateur at best. Someday, I may have questions for you. Right now, I could make a monkey coffin, but not much better.

Peace,

Dave

Thanks alot, Ill help in any way I can!

Got a question right away; do I have to butcher an ipod dockstation in order to get a DAC module, or can they be bought separately from somewhere?

Plan; make an exquisite cabinet with marquetry and integrate top noch musicplayer. See, in Sweden, you dont get much appreciation for well made furniture anymore, the country is IKEA infected badly, so I need to throw something in their face if you know what I mean...

I got the drivers (Fostex FE103E) and a DIY stereo amp + fm radio. (and a helpful friend) I just want to be able to charge the Ipod whilst using it in the cabinet.

If this subject has been written about before, I apologise, havent been able to find anything.

Am I on thin ice or what?

always peace, Rasmus

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Unless you pay Apple a licencing fee you need to use the DAC inside the iPod. You can get at that from the headphone jack or from the docking connection. Probably the easiest way to get a dock connector is to canabalize an existing dock (my Nano one was cheap (~$35) and tiny -- i'd just embed it whole into the structure.

dave

planet10 said:
Unless you pay Apple a licencing fee you need to use the DAC inside the iPod. You can get at that from the headphone jack or from the docking connection. Probably the easiest way to get a dock connector is to canabalize an existing dock (my Nano one was cheap (~$35) and tiny -- i'd just embed it whole into the structure.

dave

I bought an all in one dock on ebay for $10, has a usb cable, wall wart, and 1/8" jack. We use it with a tiny rotel integrated in our boy's room to help him fall asleep.

(welcome to the forums!)

.d.

/Probably the easiest way to get a dock connector is to canabalize an existing dock (my Nano one was cheap (~$35) and tiny -- i'd just embed it whole into the structure./

Yes, I agree, after some research this seems as the best way to go, I might open it up though just to see whats inside... curiosity is a driving force...

Rasmus

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.