• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

A simple shunt regulator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was wondering if it made sense and it was profitable to insert a shunt regulator into the screen circuit...

Attachments

• 6Y6  Shunt EL84 2 part.jpg
    6Y6 Shunt EL84 2 part.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 612
Last edited:
There are three methods that lead to three different reactions in the event of a voltage surge ... VR tube would leave the voltage constant on the screen and not on the plate, the resistance would lead to a constant ratio between screen and plate, the shunt instead would be a middle ground. I would like to understand if it is worthwhile to shunt to the ground what is superfluous, complicating the circuit, or if it is not productive.

There is also an error in the schematic, anode of the SSRP? is coupled into the output tube.

If you just need regulated screens, you can order some boards from my design.

Attachments

• 85A2 EF80.184 EL84 PSU gerbers.zip
    186.4 KB · Views: 30
  • Routing Topor.png
    Routing Topor.png
    63.5 KB · Views: 233
  • Schematic.png
    Schematic.png
    49.6 KB · Views: 197
There are three methods that lead to three different reactions in the event of a voltage surge ... VR tube would leave the voltage constant on the screen and not on the plate, the resistance would lead to a constant ratio between screen and plate, the shunt instead would be a middle ground. I would like to understand if it is worthwhile to shunt to the ground what is superfluous, complicating the circuit, or if it is not productive.

Perhaps VR tube would have higher noise than a regulator.

fyi - Shindo used a simple FET based cap multiplier on screens. If you’re not adverse to using a FET, this would be simplest and possibly the best approach.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.