"A Rumination Upon Audio Research, VW's Phæton, and Subaru vs. SAAB"

Joined 2014
Paid Member
I will note it was an honest question. Cars are more subjective than audio so what is a 'great' car for one person might be rubbish for someone else. Engines even more so. I had the 1.9tdi which was the last of the clockwork diesels VW did before going to over complex injection setups that caused all sorts of problems. I won't by a VW group diesel now.

AFAIK they all came with All Wheel Drive

dave
Sorry for my lack of complete clarity. And perhaps my faulty memory, but... what I meant to say was that AWD was an option on the Impreza, as far as I know. That said, the Impreza was one of Subaru's more successful models, so it is possible that most North American dealers, when ordering new cars, would option them up as much as they could. IIRC, FWD was the default in Japan--less snow.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
SAAB did a lot. They introduced the world to high power FWD (and a generation to torque steer). They also developed fancy plasma sensing ignition that enabled them to run higher boost without knock problems. A clever bunch even if the ignition key in the gearbox was a bit odd to many :)

That's a great article! "Subaru was "a Lesbian car." " Then I'm a lesbian because I've owned two and I love them.

I never thought about Saab and Subaru competing. Saab was never on my radar. But there's a lesson here: Subaru stuck to what it does best and thrived; Saab tried to be Mercedes (Mercedes!) and went belly up.

Finally, the lesbian couple down the street have a Mercedes and an Infiniti in their garage. There's a few breeders on the block with Subarus though.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
SAAB did a lot. They introduced the world to high power FWD (and a generation to torque steer). They also developed fancy plasma sensing ignition that enabled them to run higher boost without knock problems. A clever bunch even if the ignition key in the gearbox was a bit odd to many :)
Think the 900s had the weird - for most of the world - ignition key location. The 9000 had it in a normal location.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
See on balance the Passat Estate I had was the best car I have ever owned. Bought it with a 130k on the clock and finally got rid of it at 280k miles. I had it chipped when I got it and drove it like i rented it most of the time. I guiess it depends what you consider 'good' or 'bad' in a car. Would have loved to have either the R36 or W8 variant but they were rare as anything and uk gas prices make them not a sensible option.
I live in an area with very cold winters. My Passat - purchased new - would start, but then the driver's door wouldn't latch. It also would back up in reverse, but wouldn't go forward in drive. Then the fabric on the rear seat began to shrink, exposing the foam. When the VW rep was asked about this, he facetiously responded with 'must have been a Monday car'.
But as with all vehicles, ymmv.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
@prairieboy fair enough. sounds like you had an auto. the manual I had never had a problem selecting gear, but the coldest I ever started it in was -10C which is possibly balmy for your winters. The seats I had survived all that the children could throw and them, but were leather and alcantara

And I should note I do think the Saab ignition key solution WAS better, but confused the hell out of a lot of people, esp if they forgot to put it into reverse and couldn't get the key back out :D

Ah. But I think you are talking about North America. They probably did that to make the sticker price higher, even though drivers in Florida and the rest of the South would not benefit as much. According to Wiki, FWD remained available in Japan:

"Subaru has offered front- and all-wheel drive layouts for the Impreza. Since the late-1990s, some markets have restricted sales to the all-wheel drive model, putting the Impreza in a unique selling proposition in the global compact class, which is usually characterized by front-wheel drive. Japanese models remain available in both configurations." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru_Impreza

I found this Wiki tidbit very worthwhile:

"A 2019 iSeeCars study named the Impreza as the lowest-depreciating sedan in the United States after five years.[2]"

I think that data points such as that probably have a lot to do with the "Lesbian Thing."

john

I did not know they offered FWD Imprezas in other markets. But I think a FWD Subaru would crowd the market here and not do so well in sales.

Americans associate Subaru with AWD. It's not a gimmick. Subarus outhandle most of the competition in any road conditions. Subaru's AWD is superior in any road conditions. The only other vehicle that comes close is Audi. Subaru's powertrain is a knockoff of the Audi Quattro. Subaru and Audi are clearly superior to any other AWD schemes out there.

I remember driving home on the expressway during a blizzard that was accumulating snow way faster than the plows could remove it; about 2-3 inches an hour. Cars were spun out and in the ditch left and right. There was a couple inches of slippery snow on the roadway. I was able to drive around almost everyone else and maintain 35 mph. I also remember being cut off in a blizzard and bracing for impact, but being able to steer and brake my way out of a collision. I remember driving through the alley behind my house with snow as high as the hood line. All this was in a 2000 Legacy wagon. These are impressive feats to a person that learned to drive on the ice and snow in an enormous RWD land barge.

THANKS to everyone who has contributed Comments!

To me the funny thing is that all the discussion has been about cars.

Everybody seems to accept as a "Given" that ARC got into this mess by a combination of " 'Me' Marketing," Corporate Hubris, Corporate Groupthink, and Mistaking One's Own Preferences for Everybody Else's.

I simply wrote about the larger-scaled, more egregious examples I was familiar with from the car world.

And of course, ARC is not the only audio company addicted to " 'Me' Marketing."

It amazes me that Krell is still in some way shape or form in business, after its Chinese-made integrated amp was the subject of a US Consumer Product Safety Commission Mandatory Recall:

"Incidents/Injuries: Krell has received 50 reports of the amplifiers overheating including reports of smoke and electrical fire."

https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2009/A...-Krell-Industries-Recalled-Due-to-Fire-Hazard

Early on, a dealer told a Krell rep that the amp the rep was pushing was designed from a Motorola Applications Sheet, and the rep brightly responded, "No, It's a KRELL!!!"

As though the name were magical.

amb,

john

Joined 2014
Paid Member
oddly SAAB comes from a country with a lot of snow and mandatory winter tyres. I suspect the Swedes managed ok :). Certainly I'd rather a 2wd with winter tyres vs 4wd on summer tyres.

I've never seen a 2WD subaru* in UK. They started importing the pickups first which farmers loved as they were nearly indestructable. Then the other models came and Rallying made the impreza the boy racers choice along with the lancer EVO. I think even the 650cc Vivio was 4wd in the UK. The BRZ is a strange toyota/subaru chimera so doesn't count (fun car though).

@johnmarianmarks as I pointed out your problem is your car example is just plain wrong.

To billshurv: Specifically, which post of yours are you referring to, and how is my car example wrong?

Here's how my linked-to article "Works":

SAAB's thinking they could take a bite out of BMW's business by also offering a convertible (that was not RWD; and which did not have a hot engine)

Is analogous to:

Audio Research Corporation's thinking that they could take a bite out of McIntosh's business by offering amps with large meters that were "See-Through," rather than Blue.

The same therefore goes for VW's thinking that they either (i) could take a bite out of Mercedes' business, or (ii) "Punish" Mercedes for making small cars, by putting a VW badge on a Large Luxury car with some Bentley DNA, and SELL IT IN VW DEALERSHIPS, many of which were cheesy, shabby, downmarket affairs. At least, compared to Lexus and Mercedes stores.

My article is not really ABOUT cars; it is ABOUT Corporate Hubris, Corporate Groupthink, and Mistaking One's Own Prejudices and Tastes for those of Everybody Else.

And if my article were dead wrong, then... why did the Phaeton fail, and why does SAAB's auto brand seem to exist now only as a US Registered Trademark and not a real company? (The aerospace company seems to be doing OK.)

Saab did not have the volumes, and it was at one time linked to GM, IIRC.
Bentley cars are even less in volumes, more a prestige brand than a real option. As is Rolls Royce.
Aston Martin and Lamborghini started as divisions of tractor makers.

Now, as the public increasingly thinks of electric cars, leaving practicality aside, there is going to be even more churn in the market, the electric drives and controls are mostly made in China, though they may be sold under different names.

Talbot, Simca, MG cars, BSA and Indian motorcycles...all have ceased operations for different reasons as have many others, so singling out Saab is not correct in my opinion.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Indian motorcycles

These guys: https://www.indianmotorcycle.com/en-ca/

n23dsdbhcv-ind-my23-8y6v-sport-chief-stealth-gray.png

dave