"A Rumination Upon Audio Research, VW's Phæton, and Subaru vs. SAAB"

FWIW & Your Mileage REALLY Might Vary, I have shared on [LINK:] Positive Feedback Online some of my thoughts about the Audio Research "Assignment for the Benefit of Creditors" situation. Back when I was a trial lawyer, I was one of three lead lawyers on a $67 million Involuntary Bankruptcy. And, I was involved in many much smaller cases.

The Marketing course I took was one of the best courses I ever took. To give the Overview from 30,000 feet, a very important distinction is between "Me" Marketing and "You" Marketing.

"Me" Marketing is something like:

"John Marks is an Industry Pioneer in high-bit-depth digital recording."

"You" Marketing is something like:

"JMR's high-bit-depth digital recordings guarantee you will enjoy Fatigue-Free Listening."

Two important points:

1) I do hope that ARC survives and prospers.

2) In view of the fact that the "GhostMeters(tm)" were announced in 2019, and the TWS Group acquired ARC in 2020, I assume that the most recent management team was saddled with a decision that some or all of them might not have agreed with.

Thanks to David Robinson for providing the soapbox.

ciao,

john

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Hmmm…

I have owned a 1975 SAAB 99, and a 1999 Subauru Legacy Wagon. The Suburu had the advantage of over 2 decades of development and progress, as well as 4-wheel drive, 1975 was a real bad year for the manual gearbox but i really liked that car. SAAB dies because GM killed it. Fortunetly VOLVO was saved from FORD before it met the same fate. I always lusted for a 900 SPG.

I did an SP3A clone in 1975, and have a clone SP8 that needs a working volume and source controls.

I hope ARC survices too, but haven’t really heard any since th eearly 80s (driving full size Magnepans).

dave

Joined 2008
Paid Member
“Car Talk“ quote:

“Where there’s smoke, there’s a SAAB.“

I thoroughly enjoyed the 2004 9-5 wagon (manual!) I had for several years. Very comfortable and capable car. Darn direct injection module was a pain to source and replace, though. When the rear wiper washer cover broke off, I used the stream to fend off angry tailgaters…

Joined 2014
Paid Member
I nearly bought a Phaeton once. Was for sale at a local car dealer. 300k miles one lady owner... Shirley Bassey. Which if you think about it makes sense as it is an idea limo for people who don't want to be noticed allowing you to waft around in luxury and anonymity. A colleague at work had one and liked it so much he bought a second one for his wife. They were really good cars. Just too good for the badge, which was proven by the number VW sold when they bunged a couple of turbos on the W12 and a Bentley badge.

“Where there’s smoke, there’s a SAAB.“

That must have been a reference to the 3-cyl., 2-stroke engines that SAAB used before the Ford of Germany V-4, Otto-Cycle (4-stroke) engine. And after that, a straight-4 from Triumph IIRC.

Like an old lawn-mower engine, the 2-stroke SAAB engines required you to mix 2-Stroke Oil in with the gasoline. Hence the smoke, and that's the reason SAAB needed to drop 2-stroke engines once the EPA Act was passed in 1970.

Reactions: 1 users
Joined 2010
Paid Member
I had a Saab 9000 Turbo which is at the top.of the list of best vehicles I've owned. Handled well, went more than fast enough with the turbo, and could hold a huge amount of 'stuff' in back. Too bad the dealer sucked.
My wife has a 2016 Subaru Outback which is a nice vehicle, but it isn't what the Saab was.
Worst vehicle I've owned? A VW Passat wagon.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Seems SAAB is still trying to kick (as a car company)

B0025686.jpg

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/el... we weren't expecting,built in just 10 months.

But you wanta SAAB now it looks more like this:

gripen_kalender_2023-jun.jpg

dave

I had a Saab 9000 Turbo which is at the top.of the list of best vehicles I've owned....
Thanks for reading, and thanks for writing in.

The 9000 was great... but it was a "Shared Platform Design," the other partners being Fiat, Lancia, and Alfa Romeo. I think of all of those, the strongest resemblance is between the SAAB 9000 and the Alfa Romeo 164. Which in its own way was a great car, despite the strange valve train in the enginer. Apart from the floor pan, most body parts though are not really interchangeable, because SAAB built more side and front impact protection in.

When I worked in a VW dealership, I had very few dealings with people from the US Headquarters, but, their entire tone seemed to be rather arrogant--they knew best, even the ones who had come over from Germany thought that way. But as far as I could tell, they only talked to each other and not to real Americans. I was not at all surprised by Dieselgate!

The Passats I dealt with had a stupid defect in the ventilation system that meant that under certain conditions, rainfall or snow melt, water would make its way under the carpets in the rear seat area. It was a well-known problem that I was told was not going to be solved until the entire Passat got a re-do. So, I once accidentally gave a couple a test drive in a Passat that had water swishing around in the rear passenger area; fortunately, they did not notice.

The dealership did not mind, because they made money on the warranty work and the carpet replacement.

Sigh

Thanks. Yes, I mentioned that Cosmic Irony in my article.

The Impreza was a Compact Hatchback and not a Station Wagon, but AWD was an option. Owners seemed to like them. It makes one wonder whether SAAB might have had a better chance of survival, had they shifted all production to the NAFTA Zone.

About which--most of the versions of Lexus' top-selling car, the RX "Soccer Mom Van," are made in Canada, in a plant that builds cars to Japanese quality standards. AFAIK, the only exception is the hybrid one, which is made in Japan.

BMW, ironically, opened up a factory in the US Mid South, and Mercedes of course opened up a factory in the US Deep South.

Saab Automobile is in the radar of a company that makes Polestar electric cars, Volvo chassis, owned finally by Geely of China.
The auto company went belly up in 2014.

Good safe cars, did not do very well in the North American market.

Would love to hear abot owners' experiences with BMW, and VW, the latter has not been succesful here in India.

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2014
Paid Member
See on balance the Passat Estate I had was the best car I have ever owned. Bought it with a 130k on the clock and finally got rid of it at 280k miles. I had it chipped when I got it and drove it like i rented it most of the time. I guiess it depends what you consider 'good' or 'bad' in a car. Would have loved to have either the R36 or W8 variant but they were rare as anything and uk gas prices make them not a sensible option.