• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

A Push-Pull DIY amp, type 6V6?

I have bought some used transformers and chokes. Hammond 1650E, and some 193J and 193C chokes. Have built a Tubelab El 84 PP clone and am very happy with the sound. This uses the same output transformers that I have now bought. I want to build an amplifier where I can use the parts I have bought. Thought a push-pull with 6v6? Does anyone have any good advice regarding forms? I build with point to point soldering. Haven't bought a power transformer yet, but that will be done very soon. I have built a few EL 84 PP amplifiers over the years, but was not really satisfied until Tubelab's EL 84 PP was built. Have a lovely winter day! Yesterday it was minus 15 degrees Celsius here, maybe a little warmer outside today?

dynaco 6v6
audionote kit four
harman kardon a300
The hardest part is choosing

Attachments

• 1707559890318.png
    1707559890318.png
    429.5 KB · Views: 379
  • 1707559987501.png
    1707559987501.png
    66.8 KB · Views: 392
Reactions: 3 users
I've built a PSE amp - listening to it as I write - and I chose E80L instead of EL84. This is a Special Quality tube with gold pins. I'm really liking it. It's a bit of a sleeper and came second to the EL3n (same as EL11, different base) in a shootout versus 6V6 and other high gain small tubes. Interesting reading - the reviewer is a professional violinist. I don't have the EL3n but I do have EL11 and E80L and I agree with this. Good reason to look beyond the 6V6 and EL84.

https://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/manufacture/1108/

There is 10/6JA5 which is similar to the well liked EL506, and there is 6JC5 which is similar to 6V6, but up-rated to 19 Watt Pdiss. Both are Vertical (TV) amp tubes, so used for linear service. May not be readily available in Europe, but are cheap otherwise. ( Compactron bases )

Hello Stenak:
I can whole heartedly agree with @smoking-amp on the 6LU8. I have recently built a SE version and am currently building a PP version. The SE is is wonderful and pushes out a solid 3W. If you go for a PP version be thoughtful of the 1.5A heater needs. I chose a dedicated separate transformer for the heaters. Tubes are non common in audio and therefore reasonably priced.

Good luck with your journey

I am working off-and-on designing the PCB for a push-pull amp using 6LR8s, with the triodes operating in differential folded cascode configuration to drive the pentode outputs. The amp will also have a self-balancing circuit of my own devising. If the balancing circuit works out, it will go into other amplifier designs.

As per usual., I'll be using a beefy 24VDC switching adapter and special DC-DC converter to power the project - 280 VDC plate supply, plus somewhere around 140 VDC for the screens. I may use the Soviet equivalent of the 6V6, as it is light on the filament power, along with a pair of 8CG7 in differential folded cascode duty, plus a dropper resistor to soak up the extra 8V or so. I happen to have a pair of Hammond 1650Es that may get pressed into duty as the output transformers - ugly, but serviceable. Tubes on top, output transformers below decks.

Last edited: